Chapter 14: Congratulations, You've won the Jerk of the Year Award

Chapter 14

“Lucas?” I exclaimed, smiling widely at my friend who sat across from me. Where had he appeared from? He grinned as he stared at my pizza; a confused look plastered his face for a moment before he smiled.

“Nice… pizza.” He said, mockingly. I smacked him lightly as I pushed a slice to him.

“Want one?” I asked as he shrugged taking the slice.

“How’s everything?” He asked, grinning.

“It’s okay. What about you?” I asked, lying slightly. Most things were okay, just one thing wasn’t. Which turned it into many things but he didn’t need to hear my venting- he was in a good mood and what will I look like to bring him down? Jerk of the Year, that’s what.

“It’s good.” He grinned widely.

“How’s Aria?” I asked, curiously. We texted a few times but we’d both have to cut it short due to activities that were too time consuming and we couldn’t manage to text back. It was all just a nuisance; but Lucas was that friend that you didn’t talk to for 3 weeks and you can go back together like nothing ever happened and that’s what we did.

“She’s amazing, she’s applying to colleges.” He said, smiling.

“How’s that going?” I asked, frowning. If she’s going to college, doesn’t that mean that he’ll have to stay in school an extra year; he’s only a junior, like me?

“She’s applying to community college and colleges in our area. And it’s not because of our relationship, fully. It’s because she doesn’t want to leave her mom and dad. So don't start telling me not to hold her back because I already told her to do what she wants for college, and if we last- we last. But she insisted, so you know?” He said, nodding. I nodded.

“I’m so happy for you, you deserve her.” I spoke honestly, smiling.

“So where’s your Prince Charming?” He teased. I furrowed my eyebrows.

“He’s probably stuck in traffic somewhere.” I said, looking down at my plate, remembering Cyrus who’s probably lying next to Miranda in bed, snuggling up with her. My stomach churned violently. I sighed loudly. Why can’t things ever go good?

Cyrus’s Point of View

Stupid cars! I honked the horn loudly and repeatedly, earning a strand of ‘number ones’ from a row of cars beside me as I cut them off skillfully. They honked their horns at me but I ignored them, I had places to go but I can’t because I’m stuck in traffic! I pounded the steering wheel angrily. I have slight road rage, alright, full on road rage. But you would, too if you were trying to find a girl you like- as a friend, AS A FRIEND OKAY, to apologize for a mistake you made that included her enemy and I; but these stupid people can’t drive to save their lives!

I finally got onto the street leading to the mall and I stepped on the gas, hightailing it to the parking lot of the large mall. Where can she be? Where can she be? I locked the car door, jogging to the opening. Knowing her, she’d probably be… in the food court, right? She loves food, especially pizza. You can only count the amount of times she eats pizza in a week at school. I began my short walk to the food court, my body felt numb.

As I reached the food court, I searched the semi crowded large room for her familiar hair. I found her hunched over pizza. I began walking towards her, pacing myself. I didn’t want to end up running and be winded, where she could barely make a word out of my apology. I didn’t want to end up like my Grandpa.

Maverly’s Point of View

“You don’t keep in contact with Bathroom boy?” Lucas asked with his nose wrinkled.