𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 - 00

I looked out of the window, settling onto my bed, feeling the weight of the heavy setup I was placed in.

I couldn't believe this was happening. The sound of a horn interrupted my thoughts as a car pulled up at the entrance.

His car, He's here.

I let out a weary sigh.

This wasn't what I had hoped for.

I never imagined I'd be the kind of girl to find herself in this situation.

I used to be confident, assured that nothing like this could happen to me.

I always thought I'd stand up against anyone who tried to force me into something like this.

My friend fixed my veil. "Anu, you're not stupid enough to go through with this, are you?" Ayesha said, settling down beside me and squeezing my hand.

She was right, I couldn't be this foolish.

Yet, here I was, about to make a decision that would change my life forever.

Ayesha was the only friend standing by me in this trying time. I used to have a circle of friends, a whole town at my beck and call, but now they were conspicuously absent, citing vague reasons for their unavailability.

Maybe they were disappointed in me.

Maybe they saw me as an opportunist.

Or maybe they just didn't care anymore.

Pushing these thoughts aside, I responded to Ayesha, " Yes but Do I have a choice?"

"Yes, you do!" she protested. "You're someone I know-"

But she stopped short; I knew what she was thinking, what she was about to say. What she heard, I heard too-what the entire town was whispering about-that I was marrying the most powerful investor of our time. Knowing the many accusations against him couldn't easily be overlooked. Yet I was marrying him, forsaking my safety, all because they say my eyes are blinded by the immense wealth and fortune he holds.

I fixed my nose pin, feeling a surge of regret.

"Ayesha, I have regrets," I admitted, my voice barely above a whisper. "I know what you want to say, what you've been holding back, but this is my reality now."

"Okay then, let's go," she said, offering me a reassuring smile as she awkwardly extended her phone towards me. "That's our girl code, capturing every moment. You look stunning, like a goddess. Let's capture this as a memory."

I nodded, summoning a smile that I knew was more facade than genuine.

As we heard a knock on the door, our heads turned simultaneously.

Ekta stood there, and with her arrival, my confidence waned.

"They're calling for you downstairs," she informed me before turning to Ayesha. "I need to take her down to the pavilion."Ayesha rose from my side, leaving me alone with ekta.

I stood there, unable to meet Ekta's eyes, knowing that I had been defeated. They would revel in their victory, mocking me for my perceived weakness.

"It's okay, we're even now," Ekta said, attempting to offer some...some...idk whatever.

I remained silent, disliking everything about the situation.

Ekta looped her arm through mine, resuming her chatter as we descended the stairs. I couldn't fathom why she insisted on speaking when my defeat was already apparent.

"Don't be down," she urged, her words grating on my nerves. "You're still the same bitchy Anamika, nothing has changed. And all of this is for Badi Maa."