Into Dust

The Angelic Legion sat at the edge of a hill, surrounded by large, flat rocks.

"It doesn't look like anything special." Rin wrinkled his nose. "It's just dirt."

"Rin, use yer head," Shura grumbled. "That's the point. When you don't want somethin' found, you don't draw attention to it."

"Still, Mom, it's hard to believe an ancient civilization was once here," A young teen said.

"Yeah, Ant." Shura sighed. "It is."

Shura's oldest son, Antoin, joined them on this mission. She was dead against it and felt that this assignment was too dangerous. However, Mephisto insisted that if their son wanted to be a knight someday, he needed experience with demon swords. The Angelic Legion was made up of three experienced sword users. He was currently being trained in the demon art of swords by his mother and Rin Okumura. Mephisto had gifted him with Black Star, a new weapon he'd worked on for quite some time. The blade could slice portals in spacetime, and Shura thought it was a potentially terrifying object to gift an inexperienced exwire. Of course, Mephisto didn't respect human boundaries and wanted his son to master his powers early. 

After Mephisto named the sword, Shura thought it sounded ominous. That was until she entered his apartment and found a David Bowie album of the same name.  Mephisto then admitted that he named the sword after an art rock experimental jazz album, and his children's creation could be described as such. Shura had openly scoffed at his cavalier attitude, remembering that the birth had almost killed her.

Antoin had a unique heritage. He had a human father of African origin, a Japanese ninja for a mother and, of course, a full-fledged Mephisto temptaint. His demon pedigree was impossible to ignore; his jet-black hair was licked with red, like the flame-tipped coals of a bonfire. His light green and swirling eyes were identical to Mephisto's, as was his height. Despite the fact he was still growing, he towered over his diminutive mother and his 1/4 brother, Rin Okumura.

"Lady Kirigakure!" Angel spoke to Shura through his headset. "I think I've found the entrance; it's on the North side of the hill."

"Affirmative." She sighed, gesturing to the young men. "C'mon, you two, let's join Mr. Incredible down there."

"Hahahah!" Angel laughed in her earpiece. "I am so incredible! Thank you for the compliment!"

"God," Shura mumbled under her breath. "I'm in hell."

The three exorcists made their way down the hill. Antoin led the way, his nimble frame picking through the boulders with a paranormal speed.

"So, Shura," Rin said conversationally. "When were you going to tell me about Yukio?"

"Whaddya mean?" She sounded tense and avoidant at the same time.

"I know he asked you out."

"Rin, for fuck sake...." She put a hand over his mouth. "He did not!! I don't want Ant to know anything about that!"

"Yukio told me." Rin muffled. "It's weird, right?"

"It's super weird," she sighed painfully. "The last time I saw him, he was a 17-year-old brat. Then he disappeared for eighteen fuckin' years and came back acting like Lothario. He's been following me around everywhere."

"I felt bad about Shiemi." Rin conceded. "When we got together, he felt left out. He took the first assignment away from True Cross. I knew he liked her too. Things could be worse, though. I have Mephisto for a dad, and he doesn't."

"He's an anti-demon and can't catch a temptaint." Shura nodded. "He is the perfect person to take on the seat of Armumahel. I agreed with his appointment at the time. But now that he's back, my life has turned upside down."