A different homecoming

It wasn't how she'd typically spend her Saturday. Maybe that's why it didn't end like any other night before.

It was innocent. She knew her for years, they considered themselves their best friends for years, but had a falling out after school. She left for college, her friend stayed. Not all things are meant to be, that's why she's back here. Attending the birthday of her friends boyfriend, with people who'm are mostly strangers to her. „But oh well, it's good for me to go out again". She said to herself, as if she wasn't only here because the girl who once was the most important in the world to her wanted her there.

„Alright, focus" She said to herself, as she sat foot into the cheap party rental they'd celebrate at. So many faces, people younger, older or so alternative, she couldn't even tell. This isn't like any of the people she knew in her time at the city. She imagined people in her small hometown would have stayed boring, just as in school. But college made her realize it's the other way around. She wasn't a girl for parties nor for the studies. Maybe she would have developed such a heavy personality too if she stayed. Maybe these people think she's boring. Weird, even. Her head started to spin, just before a touch pulled her out.

It's her friend. She doesn't seem changed. A quick, but firm embrace, some words completely drowned out by music. She was barely able to make out her friend saying „oh god thank you" just before her boyfriend, the birthday boy, came swooping in drunkenly grabbing his girlfriend and pulling her away. Oh well, it's his day, they probably have a lot of organizing to do aswell. It's time to lock in. She looks down. Her friend gave her a drink. A can, it's safe. Everything happened so quickly it feels just as if the can just materialized in her hand.

As she takes a sip she realizes she needs to catch her breath. As she stumbles through the livid party she passes many characters. People she recognizes and complete strangers. Maybe she once knew them too. She gets outside. A few scattered groups, smoking, laughing. One older looking boy seems to be in an argument over if he should drive or not. I guess we all know the answer to that.

She is once more pulled out of her trance. This time by someone loudly shouting. „COME COME COME, NO EXCUSES!" a person rushes by her. A smaller guy, belonging to a bigger group. He runs towards a girl arguing with the drunk at the door, stumbling as he runs. It looks kind of childlike, he seems fun. Another yell from behind. It's the same voice that called out earlier. Waving his friend down she looks at a man very familiar to her.