14

I never understood people who could perfectly mask their emotions away

I never understood people who could perfectly mask their emotions away. Some may have thought I was one of those people, but I wasn't—at least not to the same extent. There were some who could maintain a poker face no matter the situation. It could be after finding their mate, after the death of a family member, or even when they were in physical pain. The poker face never once fell. I envied that in a way. I tried to keep my facade up, but if my incessant thoughts and pacing were anything to go by, then I was obviously failing.

Truthfully, I was worried. Cronan's offer kept replaying in my head like a broken record. I should have been elated by his offer and I suppose a small part of me was, but I could stop the flock of pessimistic thoughts and fears from building a nest in my mind. It was one thing to put on a strong face in front of him, but it was another entirely to believe my words. I was worried that I'd do exactly what he wanted and mess up in some way. It was obvious that the window for error was basically nonexistent, so I had to be on my best behavior which was easier said than done.

I liked to believe I knew at least a small part of who Cronan was, but as the saying went, you never really knew someone until you lived with them. I knew the obvious things that made him tick, but the smaller, more subtle ones? That was another story entirely. The last thing I needed was to fuck up our bond even more.

Forcing myself to be still, I exhaled and shook my head. This wasn't what I needed to be doing. If I spent all my time thinking about what could go wrong then it would just end up becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy which was the last thing I wanted. Besides, I had a bigger issue at hand: retrieving my items from the cabin.

I knew it was a long shot that they'd still be inside—more likely than not, the nosey human had already taken and added them to some creepy collection inside his house—but I had to check. Call me sentimental, but it was important to me despite the risks.

My eyes shifted to the cluster of houses in the distance and I examined the windows, looking for any sign that someone was watching. Moving around during the day was risky, but I had a feeling that if I waited until night then I'd end up in the same position Cronan and I previously were.

After a few more minutes of waiting, I decided that it was time to move. I took a deep breath and hurried toward the cabin. I slipped inside and wasn't surprised, but a little annoyed by the obviously tampered items. Some things were knocked over, others were placed in different places than I originally left them, and some had just been downright dug through.

The further into the cabin I went, the more apparent it became that things were missing. Frowning to myself, I went to the bedroom, and rather than check my bags, I made my way to the corner of the room and lifted one of the loose wooden boards on the floor. I let out a grateful sigh when I saw my small box still there. Sure, I was upset about everything else, but it was the box I'd been initially worried about. That was why I took extra measures to make sure it was hidden after all. If someone found out about the cabin and decided to take my things then at least they wouldn't find it.