Chapter 1: Into the shadows

Scarlett looked at the Shadow High building. It was her first day. She had got accepted a bit later than other students so she was very late to the party but excited nonetheless.

"Came all the way from Texas to be here." She stared at the school in front of her. She wrote in her notebook the inspiration she felt seeing the building and tucked it away in her backpack for later.

She took a deep breathe, lifting her confidence and prepping her for the new environment. "Alright, this is going to be great! No need for nervousness." She entered the school

Scarlett entered Shadow High, an edgy school with walls adorned in black and white lights. She was stunned by its beauty. The floors shun in a white glitter and the sleek purple lockers across the halls stood out. Most students with a supernatural skin tone fit perfectly with the school's creative and out-of-this-world reputation. She entered nervously, adjusting her spikey earrings and paper clip hair clips to have that Shadow High feel.

She had to go into the principal office to find out her classes. She saw a girl with blue eyes and dark purple hair enter the door. Scarlett followed and sat on a chair.

They both sat in the chair awkwardly until addressing one another. "The name is Ainsley. Are you new here too?"

Scarlett nodded. "Yep, I'm Scarlett. Today's my first day here." Ainsley smiled. "I just started going here last week. As an accessory and design focus, ~" Ainsley's vibe exuded a sense of pride in her tone but she still came across as friendly. "How about you? Oh and what grade are you?"

"I'm a freshman. My focus is creative writing. I'm working on a science fiction novel currently!"

Suddenly the principal came in. "Hello Scarlett! And...Ainsley?" She said, confused at Ainsley's sudden appearance. Ainsley had transferred to Shadow High last week and was mostly in order. She wondered what her appearance was for. "I just came to ask for an updated copy of my schedule. Since I added a class the other day."

The principal looked at her desk and handed it over.

Ainsley thanked her and went to the door. "Nice meeting you, Scarlett." She left soon after. Scarlett wondered if that would be her first friend at Shadow High. She had forgotten to ask the girl her grade though. She hoped maybe they would have a class together.

With Ainsley gone, the principal focused her Attention on Scarlett. "Here is your schedule."
Scarlett looked at the paper with all her new classes. She beamed with excitement for her new life at Shadow High.

"At the top right, it says your dorm room as well. If you're ready, the first stop I'd like to take you is to your dorm room to meet your new roommates. I've already informed them of your arrival."

Before Scarlett got to the room, Rosie Redwood and Berrie Skies sat on the couch together. Rosie beamed with excitement and joy as she checked herself in the mirror and did her makeup. She applied her red lipstick, making sure it was perfect, and smiled in satisfaction. "Berrie how is my makeup??" She asked smiling.

Berrie laughed. "Rosie this is like the 3rd time you reapplied it! It's perfect!"

"You think? I want to make a good first impression! I never expected we'd get a new roommate! What do you think she'll be like??"
Berrie stopped typing on her computer and stopped to think. "Hmmm...not sure. But Itd be cool if she was also interested in technology."

Rosie nodded. "Oh! What if she's into nature?? I haven't been on a good hiking trip in ages!"
Rosie stopped to think. She looked at the makeup in front of her. "Oh, and I guess another cosmetology focus would be cool too."

On the other side of the door, the principal and Scarlett had gotten to the dorm room. "Are you ready?" Scarlett nodded. They headed into the dorm room and Scarlett nervously opened the door.

Two girls awaited her. One with Red and Blueish green hair. The girl with the red hair ran up to her excitedly while the other girl sat on the couch, calm with a welcoming smile...

"Welcome!! I'm Rosie Redwood! I'm a cosmetology focus! What's your name and focus??"

"Scarlett!" She said, caught off guard by the immense energy of her new roommate. She smiled. "I'm a creative writing focus. How about you?" She asked looking at Berrie.

"The names Berrie Skies. My focus is computer animation nice to meet you!"

The principal spoke. "These are your new roommates starting today. As you also may know. You 3 share a group with 3 other people from different dorms.

"Let's head to out and meet the rest of your group."

....

In another room, Pinkie James, an on-the-rise youtuber stood next to Oliver Ocean, a calm friendly straightforward guy with passions in music and sports.

Across from them was Lavender Lynn, a passionate and hardworking girl that held a camera up to the two.

"Oliver! That song we collabed on for my new YouTube ending! Perfect!! I got so many comments about it! It's 100 times more perfect than that free copyright intro I used to use."

Oliver smiled. "Thanks!"
Pinkie grinned. "Oliverr! Make a YouTube channel already! I keep getting asked what your socials are. It's always disappointing to tell people you don't have any. More people want to see your music."

Oliver scratched his head. "i appreciate the idea, pinkie. But I want to keep my music more lowkey until I perfect it."

Lavender chimed in with her camera. "Whenever you do decide to make an account, i can be your photographer. Your banner could be the two of you celebrating your collaboration! I can take a perfect picture!" She snapped a picture and watched it print out. "See? Wouldn't that make an awesome banner picture?"

Oliver looked and Pinkie smiled, impressed. "In the future sure."

As they talked the door opened.

Rosie walked in and said, "Guys we have a new member of the group."

Scarlett walked up and said Hello. "I'm Scarlett. I do creative writing"

Pinkie smiled and took out her hand for a handshake. " My Name's Pinkie James. I'm a film focus. And a YouTuber on the side. It's a pleasure to meet you! " Scarlett shook her hand.

Oliver also said hi. "Oliver Ocean. I'm into music."

Lavender Lynn looked curious and excited to meet a new person. "Lavender Lynn! I'm a photography focus! If you ever need any pictures taken at events, for projects, or even just for fun, I'm your girl."

The principal smiled seeing everyone interact so kindly and friendly. "Well now that the introductions, classes, and dorm arrangements are in order. As the rest of you know, It's a new semester, and thus a new project is on the way. It will be to create a presentation using all your talents for the group talent show.

"Don't worry you will have weeks to work on this. But along with your school work, make sure to plan together for this group project as it is both tradition here at Shadow High and mandatory for a good grade. Now then students....see you in the shadows..." She said leaving...

Scarlett looked around at her new teammates. She wondered how the year would turn out with so many interesting personalities. She hoped she could be friends with her group members and find a way to be more creative with her creative writing.