Enemies and Friends 4/8

~~~MIKA MARAT~~~

"I think you're overreacting, Captain Marat," Hannara repeated for at least the umpteenth time, clearly not understanding, or perhaps not wanting to understand, what I was trying to say.

When the meeting was adjourned, I asked for a private audience, but even after twenty minutes of explaining the gravity of the situation, the Chairwoman didn't see the point.

Her private office was just a short walk from the main meeting room, so even with the door closed we could hear the voices and footsteps of councilors in the corridor, taking advantage of the break in the meeting to stretch their legs.

"I would really appreciate it if you put aside your personal differences and focus on our common goal of uniting and stabilising this country," said the woman in an elegant dress sitting behind a table, her brown eyes watching me, now rather impatiently. "Disputes can only harm us."

Although she offered me a chair, I couldn't sit down. I was too upset for that, so I just paced angrily on her surely expensive carpet.

"So he'll get away with it, like he always does," I snapped.

I hated him. An arrogant, smug jerk. Not to mention his disgusting relationship with that imperial cut-throat. Everyone whispered about it behind his back, but no one said anything to his face.

"I really don't understand what you're talking about," Hannara spoke again, now very petulant. "You may have reservations about his work as a councilor, but yesterday's meeting went far beyond expectations. You should be congratulating him."

I clenched my hand into a fist and mentally counted to ten. I couldn't stand it any longer. It was like talking to an ape. Was this woman completely stupid?

"I really don't think you understand what I'm trying to tell you," I said calmly, pleasantly and with a great deal of self-control.

"All right," she sighed. "Explain it to me again."

After that last battle, a number of imperial soldiers fell into our captivity, including several senior officers. They had refused to acknowledge the Resistance's authority from the start and made their disdain clear.

When it became apparent that we were not going to reach an agreement with them, the Council wanted to execute some of them. Then the others would quickly lose the will to rebel. It seemed a logical and effective solution. The Emperor would have shown no mercy to our prisoners either.

But no.

Imara fought hard against it, because the Resistance must behave differently and show that our government is not based on cruelty, terror... and a thousand other idealistic bullshit that won the prisoners a pardon.

Hannara instructed him to talk to the imperialists and try to persuade them to cooperate. But when I saw what happened there yesterday, I felt like killing someone.

And Imara would have been my first choice.

"General invited his assassin there as well."

"Yes, that's what you said. And between you and me, I don't like him associating with someone like that either. But in this case it helped our cause. In the end it turned out to be a good idea to show that even someone like him is now on the side of Resistance".

Yes, you could see it that way. But I watched the whole thing and saw how it worked. And the impression made by Imara and his killer was quite different.

I wasn't close enough to hear what they said to the imperial officers, but I watched their pompous entrance.

Imara in his general's uniform and the assassin beside him. He wore his typical dark clothes, a coat and even a sword strapped to his back. He looked every inch the way these officers had seen him for years at the Emperor's side. Except for one small thing.

Now, he was walking beside Imara.

General Imara, whose father had also been an imperial officer.

The meeting itself did not last long and ended, as had been said, "with great success".

"The soldiers have sworn allegiance to the Resistance," Hannara said, "is that not a victory for us?"

I slammed my fist down on her custom-made desk in anger. I couldn't control myself.

"But they didn't swear allegiance to Resistance, they swore allegiance to General Imara!"

She didn't flinch, just continued to stare at me, uncomprehending.

"Taira is the supreme commander of the rebel army, who else should they swear allegiance to? I don't see the difference."

Maybe she didn't see the difference, but anyone who had ever worn the uniform understood the difference. And nobody could tell me that his killer boyfriend didn't put him up to it.

"If you'll excuse me, the meeting is about to start again," she said impatiently, getting to her feet. "If that's all you wanted, I need to get back."

"It's really everything," I grinned ironically and silently followed her into the great hall, where everyone was already gathering to resume the interrupted meeting.

Among the dozens of people streaming in, I caught a glimpse of Maya Saar. And next to her, Imara.

Well, that was something. The famous General Imara has graced us with his visit, perhaps we should declare a national holiday. I watched as the cocky bastard greeted several council members, smiled sweetly and cheerfully, and even accepted congratulations from some. 

It made me sick.

I wanted to pass him and the group of enthusiastic admirers unnoticed, but in the end I just couldn't and went straight to him.

"General Imara?" I addressed him as I pushed my way through the crowd of his fans. "What a pleasure to have you back among us. Perhaps next time you can make it without the four hour delay."

He gave me a look that was anything but friendly, then smiled arrogantly, "What do you need, Captain, or have you come to congratulate me as well?"

"I don't see a single reason for congratulations," I replied, looking around. I was pleased to find that I had the full attention of everyone around us.

"You may think you've fooled me, but I know what you're up to."

"Really?" He smiled sweetly, "and can you share it with me?"

That was another thing that was incredibly annoying about him. The way he played innocent. The look of incomprehension on his face. As if he could fool someone.

"The way you stand up for our enemies and defend the lives of imperial soldiers is a bit strange coming from a rebel general. You should know whose side you're on. But considering who you sleep with, I understand your confusion."

I expected him to lash out at me, but he just smiled condescendingly, "I can see you're still fascinated by my personal life, but try worrying more about yours for once. As for the imperial soldiers... we are trying to unite this country, not plunge it into another war."

"And that will happen if we treat the losers like the Emperor did," Maya Saar rushed to his support. "We must overcome our differences."

"Nice speech," I grinned. "But it doesn't work that way. They will never recognise our government, because they will always think they are something more. And we have to confront them with strength."

I knew exactly what I was talking about. My grandparents immigrated here after the Great War, along with many other refugees from all over the world. The original inhabitants of the islands looked down on them, gave them asylum but never treated them as equals.

They had their own traditions and culture and were not used to welcoming outsiders. Eventually they had to, because they had nothing else left, but some of them still looked down on us three generations later.

That was the one thing I had to give Imara credit for, however reluctantly. He fought with the rebels, despite his heritage. But the Emperor's cruelty turned even otherwise loyal supporters of the Empire against him.

Saar looked at me, and perhaps she was about to engage in an ideological debate, but I was in no mood to listen to either of them.

Satisfied that I'd had my say, I walked out into the hall.