The Spoils of War

Rhaenyra sat alone in her chambers, the flickering candlelight casting dancing shadows upon the stone walls. Her thoughts drifted, consumed by the weight of her responsibilities as the rightful heir to the Iron Throne.

Suddenly, the heavy wooden door creaked open, and Rhaenyra looked up to see Daemon standing in the doorway, his expression etched with worry and urgency. Without a word, he strode across the room and approached her, a crumpled piece of parchment clutched tightly in his hand.

"Message from Dragonstone," he announced, his voice low and strained. Rhaenyra furrowed her brow in confusion as she accepted the parchment from him, her fingers trembling slightly as she unfurled it.

The words written on the parchment sent a chill down her spine, her heart sinking with each passing moment. She read the message in silence, her eyes scanning the ink-stained lines as the truth of its contents settled upon her like a heavy cloak.

"𝑴𝒚 𝑫𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝑴𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓,

𝑾𝒆 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒆𝒎𝒆𝒓𝒈𝒆𝒅 𝒗𝒊𝒄𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒐𝒖𝒔 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝒍𝒂𝒖𝒏𝒄𝒉𝒆𝒅 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑵𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒐𝒘 𝑺𝒆𝒂, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒊𝒕 𝒔𝒆𝒆𝒎𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒕𝒓𝒖𝒆 𝒐𝒃𝒋𝒆𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒗𝒆 𝒍𝒂𝒚 𝒆𝒍𝒔𝒆𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆. 𝑾𝒉𝒊𝒍𝒆 𝑳𝒖𝒄𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒔 𝒂𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒅 𝑱𝒐𝒇𝒇𝒓𝒆𝒚 𝒊𝒏 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑨𝒓𝒓𝒂𝒙 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑻𝒚𝒓𝒂𝒙𝒆𝒔 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒃𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒍𝒆, 𝒅𝒊𝒔𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒖𝒄𝒌 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒘𝒊𝒇𝒕𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒐𝒇 𝒂 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒅𝒇𝒊𝒓𝒆.

𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑫𝒓𝒂𝒈𝒐𝒏𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒕 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒆𝒏𝒈𝒖𝒍𝒇𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒏 𝒇𝒍𝒂𝒎𝒆𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒂 𝒎𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒇 𝒎𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒔, 𝒄𝒍𝒂𝒊𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒚 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒊𝒕𝒔 𝒇𝒊𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒆. 𝑳𝒖𝒄𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒔, 𝑱𝒐𝒇𝒇𝒓𝒆𝒚, 𝑻𝒚𝒓𝒂𝒙𝒆𝒔, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒘𝒐 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 𝒉𝒂𝒕𝒄𝒉𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒉𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒍𝒂𝒛𝒆, 𝒂𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝑫𝒓𝒂𝒈𝒐𝒏 𝑲𝒆𝒆𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒔. 𝑨𝒓𝒓𝒂𝒙 𝒔𝒖𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒊𝒏𝒋𝒖𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒔, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒅𝒓𝒂𝒈𝒐𝒏𝒔 𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑫𝒓𝒂𝒈𝒐𝒏𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒕 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒅 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏 𝒊𝒕𝒔 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒔.

𝑰𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒐𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒆𝒏𝒔𝒖𝒆𝒅, 𝒕𝒘𝒐 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒓𝒂𝒈𝒐𝒏𝒔 𝒇𝒍𝒆𝒅 𝑫𝒓𝒂𝒈𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒏𝒆, 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒔𝒑𝒊𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒔 𝒔𝒉𝒂𝒌𝒆𝒏 𝒃𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒆𝒗𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏. 𝑽𝒆𝒓𝒎𝒊𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒓 𝒉𝒂𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝑲𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝑳𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒍𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒕𝒔 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑪𝒂𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒃𝒂𝒍 𝒓𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒊𝒏 𝒖𝒏𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒏, 𝒊𝒕𝒔 𝒂𝒃𝒔𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒂 𝒉𝒂𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒓𝒆𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒈𝒆𝒅𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒏 𝒖𝒔."

Rhaenyra's hands trembled as the parchment slipped from her grasp, the weight of the news crashing down upon her like a tidal wave. Tears welled in her eyes, blurring the ink-stained words before her. Daemon moved to her side, his presence a comforting anchor in the storm of her emotions. He took her hand in his, offering silent solace as they faced the harsh reality together.