I wish things were different

-2 years after the incident-

Six of them, that was all there was. Just six of them. Six of them sitting there on the cold marbel floor, each listening for the sound of death and sorrow that seemed to surround and suffocate the city. A white sheet was all that kept them hidden, kept them safe. Covering the glass sliding door that stood tall above them all, keeping them safe from the outside world, from the dangers that now lurked. Their friends, no longer their friends, families no longer recognisable. Each one mourned for the childhood that was now lost, the pain that seeped into their guts when a special event would come and pass, not being celebrated as their was no point in celebrating. Birthdays were different. They were celebrated with relief and sorrow, of another year they had to spend without their families and another year they had managed to survive. Birthdays were special at they could barely be remebered, just another lost cause that reminded them of what they had lost, what they would never gain back.

They were not sure if there was anyone else out there, looking, searching. They were the only ones. It has been two years now, and not one other survivor has been found. They needed to get out, out of this city that haunts them in hopes of their being something else out there, something that could give them hope for a new future. Something that told them they could live without worry and pain and grief. Just something....

A bang sounded from the glass hidden behind the white sheet, making all six of them jump in fear and suspence, not knowing what was on the other side, just being able to make out a slight shadow of, well something. It wasnt clear if it was a dog, a big cat or worse, one of them. The things that still to this day, will forever haunt them, no matter how many times they must face them. No matter how many times they have gotten away from them, the fear always lurked in them in the most horrible and twisting ways, making them paranoid. Knowing the only ones they could trust were one another. And even then, two out of the six of them have only known the others for about two years. How can trust be built so quickly with people who could do easily stab you in the back for their own survival. The answer was again survival, they needed each other to survive. Afraid that even one person from their group going missing, or even worse, being turned, would mean that they all would be goners. They survived better together, their friendship knowing no bounds with the stuff they have witnessed. The stuff that would make even the toughest of most people cry in fear and anguish. Fot this they were happy, as they knew they could lean on one another, could ask for help, could cry...

          Oh how they wanted to cry...