AdventureTime005/Let Them Eat Cake

I have made a terrible mistake; you see, I was happy. I am happy. And my daughter is dead, how dare I? She suffered, probably, scared, alone maybe, and I smile.

DO I REALLY DESERVE HAPPINESS?

...I feel like I am wronging her with every smile.

I told her I would be sorry forever, but this is not the face of sorrow.

I feel that only my suffering makes her real.

Not just a girl in the past; forgotten by everyone but me.

A real girl.

My daughter,

I don't think I deserve happiness, even if I feel it.

Not while you rot.

Not while you are torn apartheid.

When I said I'll see you soon, I mean now.

---

She awakes amongst a bed of sanguine roses, sunken flowers we're he would be. Huntress Wizard sits forward, staring at the mask thrown against the wall, she touches her face. They... kissed-- how low she'd fallen. She sighs, "Not so tough are you?"

She slides the mask over her face again, and ties her hair into a long vine of budding leaves. Beyond that diaphanous wall of roots, a hymn flows to her. A swift sloping of octaves, and then a crescendo, a wave to a tsunami. She peels the roots away, then she snorts, as against the sable ensemble pink bows popped on his back; how cute.

A cloying scent was in the air, "What are you making?"

Y/N turns, a bright apron of pastel yellow and burning pinks wraps over garments fit for Pluto, a silver bowl of whipped cream between his arms.

"Cake, for you."

"I don't like cake." Huntress Wizard smiles, sitting down at the stream that partitions their house.

"You have never tried the cake of a saint." Y/N chuckles as he first lathers the iced cake in whipped cream. "You'll like it, I know you will."

Y/N set down the bowl, and with a flick of his finger, it swirls upward.

A table appears with a thought, a varnish on wood that no longer exist, two chairs with the comfiest cushion imaginable are contrived before her eyes, piece by piece.

"Go on and sit your pretty self down."

Huntress Wizard stares at her reflection briefly. There was that cut that mars her jaw, slicing to her mouth, then that scar along her fingers. The scar here and there, the callous, of where she hardens to marble.

"If you stare too hard you'll go blind." Y/N pauses, his gait, cringing, "Wow, first time I've used that one."

"And it was pretty lame," She pushed herself out of the water, stepping over the thin stream and sitting down at the table she stared at the empty porcelain plate. "But thank you."

"At your service." Y/N cuts the ornate cake, a fine slice fit for a queen, jam dripped from several layers, and fruit was produced from his fingertips, ripe blackberries, round, plump, blueberries and vibrant slices of strawberry.

Y/N sat down, wiping his hands on the apron.

"So, how does it taste?"

He looked at the cake, and cut into it with formed silverware.

"Taste..."

She swallows, and thinks.

"5/10."

Y/N frowns.

BAKING NEVER WAS MY STRONG SUIT.

His huntress smiles a toothy grin.

"Best cake I've ever tasted."

Y/N eyes brighten, "That'll be the best compliment I've ever had."

"Ever?"

"Well... not ever, but in a loooong time."

"What was the best?" She cuts around the icing, stabbing into a blackberry.

Y/N pauses, and sighs, the shadows broil and dance to his melancholy.

"Thanks dad." He tried, and failed, to imitate a girlish voice. Y/N's eyes grew slick, but tears didn't fall. He silences the stream with a deep breath, then looks at Huntress Wizard.

"Well, truth be told, it's 'You're awesome dad'" He cuts into the cake, and porcelain cracks beneath the butterknife.

"Mmm. Well, maybe one day you'll have a new #1." She bites the blackberry that had been held near her mouth briefly.

Y/N laughed, "Maybe, maybe, maybe."

"I dig the new look... or well, I think it's 'Mathematical'" Y/N points the knife at her horns, but it was to her hair, and how it fell between her shoulder blades like a long stretch of forest.

"Mmm. Thank you."

"I meant to tell you, that I'd like to take you on a proper date."

Y/N blushed, "Last night was... passionate... but you deserve a day about you," He waves the cake away, and looks down at where the plate once was, away from her eyes. "Not...not about taking care of this... mess."

Huntress Wizard's face softened, and she reached a hand underneath the table, grasping his.

"You can be a mess, but I can be a mess. We can be a mess. If you were perfect, you would be a monster, for perfect things cannot feel," She rubbed the palm of his hand, "And look!" She pointed her serpant tongue to the icing on her cheek, "This is the fruition of your mess."

Y/N laughed softly, "Y'know, that's the most emotional thing you've ever said to me."

"I appreciate it, goddess."

"Only half."

"Half is more than enough."

Y/N stares at a flower brushing against his shoe. It was purple. A star flower.

"Thank you for loving me." He stood up, unwrapping the apron from his suit. "Even if you don't say it, thank you. You're amazing, and... I'm sorry."

"Then change."

"I don't have any other mask left, Huntress. I don't have another flesh-bag to throw on," Y/N walked closer to the door, "I come with only 1, and I can try to etch happiness- real happiness!.. into my face, but to do that... to do that..." He leans against the door, head held down and beneath arms, watching a crawling ant. "That'd mean carving my daughter away... and I can't."

"Why not make room for both?"

"Because I am a pathetic, small man,"

Rain begins to slice through the air, bringing forth the smell of wildflowers and petrichor; Y/N gazes at her through his arms, "I am not enough."

"Y/N-"

"--Huntress." His voice turns synthetic, as if his vocal cords were wires. "I'll be out, do you need anything?"

"It's raining, It would be smart to stay."

"I am not smart."

"Are you sure you won't stay?"

"I'm sure I'll be gone."

"Then, I need you back. That's all."

Y/N smiles beneath the wall of his arms, and chuckles.

"As my goddess commands."