Chapter 1: The tragedy

The night was the coldest ever recorded in the history of Thornhaven.

People went home early from work. Their teeth shuddering from the extreme cold.

"It is unusually cold this year." Stated a young man taking shelter under a roof as he hugged his sweetheart to protect her from it.

"Indeed." Replied the girl pressing herself against the boy's chest.

In a shabby, minute hut, an old lady sat infront of her window with a crystal ball.

The crystal ball displayed what seemed like two royals fighting ten people clothed in all black.

The people in black were armed with swords approximately of around 1 metre.

Just then One of the royals out of the two was unable to deflect an attack from the opposite party and bared
A cruel slash to her throat.

Blood gushed out of her neck staining her clothes, making a beeline on to the white marble floor.

Her eyes widened as the other royal hugged her tight sheltering her away from another attack.

His back took the slash aimed at her.

Blows and slashes were exchanged.

The noble man laid his lady away in some corner of the huge chamber.

He stood with a protective stance protectinv her from the assassins as he shouted for her to hang on and that he would save her.

The scene was heart wrenching.

He kept on fighting to his last breath and was stabbed right in the heart.

The impact made him vomit blood.

He somehow managed to balance himself as he supported himself by taking support from the wall next to him.

Then everything went silent as he laid down all defeated and dead.

Looking at the scene the old lady blinked away a lone tear as she kneeled on the ground.

Mourning the death of her king and queen.

The blinds of the window fluttered violently due to the strong wind currents.

The storm had begun.

The old woman hugged the crystal ball as she kept sobbing.

She didn't care about the cold wind. She kept her window open for a sign..

A sign which would indicate that the king or queen may be alive.

Thankfully enough when she peeked at the crystal this time, the king was opening his eyes.

It had all been an act to dispell the assassins.

Now that they were all gone he had opened his eyes.

The old lady smiled in melancholy.

Over time her hair had turned gray as her skin grew wrinkled.

As expected of an old woman her eyes had stories to speak which had been bundled shut.

Wolves howled outside her hut.

She took in a deep breath, stared out the window as she put a hand to her chest.

She didn't know if should be happy Afterall according to the prophecy today was the day the queen would rise.

The new queen of Thornhaven, Claira Lebanon. Under her the kingdom would reach new heights of glory.

Enemies will shiver when they would look her way on the battlefield.

Her dark eyes indicating her dark past. Her straight black hair a contrast against her fair skin.

Her sturdy stance would speak volumes of her victory.

Shutting close her window the old lady then sat down on the wooden chair besides the fireplace.

"The time has come." She muttered herself. With that said she closed her eyes for a short rest.

Yet, restlessness was still visible on her face as she laid her head on the hem of the arm chair to doze off.

*At Thornhaven Palace*

It was night time.

A maid who seemed to have witnessed something horrific and heartwrenching darted into the princess chamber.

Her footsteps halted at the door.

She had to follow the rule of knocking before entering a royal's chamber but this was much more important than getting punished.

Afterall, she had seen the King and the queen fighting down ten assassins with her very eyes just now.

She frantically looked back to check if any of them were behind her.

Her lantern in hand.

She took in a deep breath before abruptly barging in on the princess.

She seemed to be sound asleep.

She carefully went near her princess before shaking her awake.

The princess as if annoyed called out the maids name in her sleep.

"Please spare me one more second Alice." The princess turned in her sleep.

The said Alice was now breaking out in a cold sweat.

She started sobbing uncontrollably as she desparately shook the princess to wake up.

The princess hearing her sob sat up startled.

She patted Alice's back before giving her a glass of water.

"What's wrong Alice? Why are you crying?" Worry was dripping down her face as she patted the maid's back.

The maid sobbed. "Prin-Princess..... The king and the queen were attacked."

Claira's eyes widened as she sprinted into her parents corridor.

She barged into it only to find her mother laying dead in her father's arm.

She ran upto them hugged them tight as she sobbed non stop.

"Shh..dear, tears don't suit a princess."
Her father the king spoke.

"You must stay strong to guard your kingdom!" He coughed clutching his wounded chest.

"Promise us that No men or women going against you, would see the dawn and people eyeing your nation shall all be gone!" Her father had always been a righteous king to the nation.

Hearing his courageous words Claire burst out in tears.

She hugged him tight as she nodded her head urgently and repeated the words of her father, "No men or women going against me, would see the dawn and people eyeing my nation shall all be gone!"