Chapter 2: The coronation

CORONATION: A ceremony at which someone is officially crowned king or queen.

⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰

A month had passed since the assassination of the king and the queen.

Everyone was still shocked and greiving but even the saddest of memories are to be shed.

A young girl was seated in the makeup room of the Thornhaven palace.

Her entire demeanour executed an aura of power and authority.

Her dark eyes were shut close as her hair was being dressed with the utmost care by her personal maids.

Her pink lips were pressed close.

If not for her knitted eyebrows and clenched jaw anyone eyeing from far would think she was sleeping.

Yet she wasn't.

She was busy in thoughts of who might have killed her parents.

She was busy in thoughts of revenge.

Just then an abrupt knock on her chamber's door made her jolt back to reality.

She opened her eyes. A clear sense of longing and sadness visible in them.  An emotion which depicted her anger was plastered on her dolled up face.

She looked directly at the door. It was Tracy one of her most trusted maids.

She was frail and thin in appearance and nearly was of the same age as her.

She had curly brown hair tied up in a neat bun and was dressed in black and white.

Her manner was poised and respectful towards Claira .

Relaxing her face Claira motioned for her to come in.

The maids had finished dressing her up for the coronation.

They bowed to her before leaving her side.

Tracy stood by her side along with Alicia, who was with the group of maids dressing her.

The maids looked at each other and then at their princess.

Ever since the death of the King and Queen the princess had always been very dull.

Her usual happy aura was long gone.

Gone was the cheerful princess who once used to cause trouble around the palace.

Gone was the little girl who used to give them a jumpscare with her tricky little pranks.

Tracy sighed with heartache as she put a hand on her princess' shoulder to console her.

Claira stared at herself in the mirror.

A trace of melancholy passed by her eyes as she sighed.

Her jet black hair was let down on shoulders as a piece of vintage jwellery made of gold lay on her neck.

The jwellery had once belonged to her mother. She thought to herself as she caressed the piece necklace with affection.

A slight smile made its way to her lips as soon as she thought of her mother's smiling face.

Her dad must been so proud of her if he were to be here.

She stood up from the chair and made her way to the portrait of her parents
Hung near the vanity table.

In it, the king and the queen were sitting with grace.

In the middle was the little Claire smiling as she held the hand of both her parents.

She touched the portrait as a tear escaped from the corner of her eye.

Witnessing which Alicia ran up to her followed by Tracy.

Alicia hurriedly wiped the lone tear with utmost care as she motioned for Tracy to bring a chair.

She made Claire sit on it before picking up the glass of water on the vanity table and handed it to Claira.

"Your Highness. You must not cry on this day. I am sure the King and the Queen won't be happy if they see in such a state right." Spoke out Alicia
Caressing Claira's back.

After hearing which Claira questioned, "Alice why do u think they left me?" She turned to stare in the maid's eyes. Her eyes brewing with more tears.

Seeing her tearing up Tracy hurriedly wiped off her tears with the hem of her dress.

"Princess you must be strong your people need spirits too. Who else is gonna uplift their hopes after the death of their rulers, hm?" She cupped her face with adoration.

"Did they really have to leave this early Tracy?" Claira's lips quivered as she hugged Tracy.

Tracy glanced at Alicia for some help.

Afterall Alicia was a master of words.

Alicia gave Tracy a nod of assuring nod before mumbling to the broken princess her words.

"Shh...princess!" She wiped away the tears.

Bringing out a mirror she placed in front of Claira's face.

The mascara in the princess' eyes had come undone.

Tracy looked at Alicia in confusion.
'It is already time for the coronation.
What is Alicia doing?' She glanced at the wall clock and then the Girl who was holding a mirror in her hand.

"My dear Princess. The people won't like a ruler who has her mascara all over her face." She said out loud and winked at Tracy.

Hearing this Claira's head snapped towards the mirror.

Her eyes looked like that of a ghost.

As soon as she saw this her brain finally started functioning. Her eyes widened in shock.

She touched her face and muttered, "You know that mom told me that I am the prettiest right?" She glanced at both the maids in agony.

Tracy smiled at Alicia.

'Alicia is indeed a master at coaxing.'

All the palace maids knew that Claira paid great attention to her appearance at all cost.

They then gladly finished her makeup.

"Omg! Guys!What is this!" She stood up from her chair abruptly as soon as she saw the time.

All of them hurriedly out into the court room.

All the ministers sat on their respective chairs placed on the aisles.

As soon as they saw Claira they abruptly stood up to greet her in unison.

"At your service your highness!"

Claire walked up to her throne as the priest greeted het.

At the end of the ceremony as per ritual she was announced queen and the crown which previously belonged to her father was now rested upon her head.

Everyone cheered and clapped for her as Claira remained sitted with a
Smile that screamed I own this court.

No one could take their eyes off of her.

"She truly is a splitting figure of the late king, his highness." Spoke out one of the ministers to the other and others could not stop but agree with him.

"May her highness' rule let Thornhaven reach new heights!" Spoke out the priest before descending the stairs leading to the throne.