{- Puppet catchers -}

Riley's POV

Heh, why's everyone so unstable? We're stuck here forever, especially when they don't have enough brain capacity to solve anything legitimately. We're gonna die. So acceptance is the solution at this point.

Every sign points to death ever since they're not aware of what Ageratum means. Timidity? Yeah that's a believable lie. It's longevity. But I'll never tell anybody because it's fun to see them proceed with that fake meaning.

I sat with Saige, as I listened to her problems absently. She talked too much, but I always pretended I listened to her. Usually, I don't care about her rants.

I heard a distant calling, an inaudible one, as it clearly got clearer and clearer.

"Carlton!" Saige raised her voice as I snapped from my do not disturb mode. I looked her in the eye, she may be dissatisfied with the fact I purposely didn't listen to her.

"Yes? Lytler?" I asked.

"Did you even listen?"

"Maybe I do, maybe I don't. You'll never know, only knowledge will tell what I think." I teased her, as I smirked at her. While yes, I didn't even listen. But she doesn't have to know, she'll figure it out herself.

"Your confusing nature is very condescending." Saige said.

"Condescending? Hah, well aren't we just as much as each other?" I replied.

"What was that supposed to mean? Elaborate." Saige demanded. Geez, nosy much?

"What I meant is that you and I are condescending, like each other. So watch your mouth a bit, hm?" I chuckled, while she blinked in confusion.

"Ahem...Fair, I guess here comes an agreement on that." Saige looked away.

"Yeah, so what is up with you and love? Quite unlucky." I asked.

"Divorced a few times, might not date again, honestly." Saige replied.

"You know, you can always try pulling sapphic ladies anytime, if you are dissatisfied with men. Society has accepted those types of women these days." I recommended her to date women. I mean, if she's unlucky with men.. Then women might be something she's capable of pulling and having an everlasting relationship with?

"Is that one of your sly flirting?" Saige asked.

"Nooo.. I could never date a dense hipster like you.. Just recommendations, you know.." I replied to her.

"Well, thank you. I'll keep that in mind." Saige thanked me.

Saige took a sip of iced coffee before she proceeded to speak further.

"It's been years ever since you and I encountered and enrolled in this academy. I could never understand why I could never actually read you through." Saige said.

"You're quite complicated." She stated. Admittedly she doesn't have enough wits to actually understand me anyway.

"Read me through? We're not books, why try to read everyone about what's on their mind? Besides, it's more fun deceiving than being truthful." I stare at her while my eyes are slightly slanted. The corner of my lips curved upwards as we stared at each other for a few minutes. There's silence between us, just me, my thoughts, and her pair of amber eyes staring at me back.

"Wait.. Why are we even staring...?" Saige whispered, as we continued.

"Why do you think we stare like this? Figure it out." I replied, challenging her mind for a bit.

"I see this as pointless, that's why I'm asking." Saige replied.

"Fine.. I wanna read you more, I wanna know what you're thinking with just a stare." I confessed to Saige, she's nosy I swear..