chapter 32

Rayan

"No, but I put my phone on silent and it wouldn't ring unless it would be an emergency contact," she says and I retrieve my hands from her hair as she grabs her phone from her clutch sitting on her desk.

"Oh my god" she gasped as the she saw the name lit on her phone's screen.

"What?" I asked and she turned her phone towards me. Kani, I read as my eyes widened a bit.

"What do I do?" she asked in her raspy voice.

"Pick it up of course," I said.

She nodded and swiped up on the screen, moving away from me and fixing her shirt.

"Hi!" she said extra cheerfully and started pacing around her cabin. Then replied a static-y voice from the other side. Well, obviously I couldn't hear what my sister had to say to my girl in the middle of, you know what. 

"Yeah, yeah," she spoke, "No no, today is totally fine," Maya said and turned towards me I raised my eyebrows in question, and she shook her head in reply.

"Oh that is really sweet, i would love to stop by in the evening." she continued, "I don't know if I can stop for the night," she said as she raised to tuck a piece of hair behind her ear.

"Well, if you insist, yeah I can come with Rayan," she said and hung up before dropping her head in her hands.

"What was it about?" I asked walking towards her.

"Kani asked me to come over to your family house for the evening to bake and yeah," she said plainly.

"What? Really?" I questioned.

"Yeah. And she asked me to get you to drive me," she scoffed.

"They think they're being sneaky with the whole 'trying to set us up' thing, aren't they?"

"Yeah totally!" she said her voice jumping up, "Imagine telling them about, this setting of ours," she said making a gagged face as she said 'setting', unsettling my emotions.

"What do you mean 'setting'?" I asked, my voice showcasing more hurt than I wanted it to.

"Well, you can't give me that face Rayan. I asked you this morning, and you kissed me instead and we both know how one thing lead to another," she said, almost like she was ashamed of what happened.

God, did I mess up? I mean yeah the tension between the two of us is impeccably strong and we haven't even kissed in a week which felt like an eternity and something needed to be done about it but did we do the right thing? Did I do the right thing?

"Do you regret it?" I asked, my voice just above a whisper.

She scoffed and looked away from me, avoiding my question this time.

"Maya, I need you to tell me. Yes or no?"

"It's crazy I even thought you'd want anything more from me," she said as she stood up and walked past me before stopping right behind the cabin door and turning to lock eyes with me again, "And yeah makeup and excuse for how you couldn't drive me to your house. I'll go by myself, I do not need to be in a car with you again," she said curtly and walked out of the cabin.

As I stood there, fixed in my steps. And for some reason, it felt as if my tie was clutching my neck even though it was loosened by her, and a numbing sensation tingled my eyes.

Maya

I wipe my tears as I halt down the stairs of the office premises. My eyes wander across the parking lot looking for my car. There, found it. I slam my car door open and without a second thought start it and rush out.