Chapter 9 - Siege of Mandalore

Author's Note: Y'all know what's coming, I'm sure. ;)

~ Amina Gila

"Maybe you're not a Jedi, but you're what I always thought one would act like," Rafa had told him. Maybe that's who he is. Maybe he is. Just... the kind Qui-Gon Jinn was, not the kind that's popularly accepted into the Order now.

"You're still Anakin," Rex had told him when Anakin went to tell him he's leaving. It had been so hard, but they understood, even if it felt wrong, and he hated himself for it. The clones can't leave. They'll be killed. At least Anakin had that choice, even if it was an impossible one. "You're still our vod, our brother, our commander, even if you left. You'll always have a place here with us."

"You're still Anakin," his mother had told him, when he was finally brave enough to go back to Tatooine and tell her that he left her for nothing. That the Council hadn't even wanted him. "You're still my son."

There are still people who believe in him. Who love him. It just took him a long time to remember that, too. It took him a long time to remember that, but here he is. He found his way back home. Maybe he just remembered what and who that is.

Eight months later, here he is, right back to the start – his Star Destroyer, his master, his captain, his brothers.

He's terrified, but he's home, and that's what counts.

The ramp takes way too long to lower. Obi-Wan is standing across from him, arms crossed. Beside him, and a bit farther back, are Master Plo Koon and a little Togruta youngling. He must've taken a padawan while Anakin was away. So much has changed.

Artoo is the first to approach, rolling over and bumping into his leg. "Hey, buddy," Anakin says, patting his dome and crouching beside him. "I missed you, too."

Artoo whistles, rubbing up against him, and Anakin stands a little reluctantly, turning to his master.

If he hadn't changed so much, it'd feel like walking through time.

Obi-Wan looks the same. He's always looked the same, though something in his eyes is a little darker now. Anakin remembers all the times he's pulled Obi-Wan away from doing something... violent, and he wonders exactly much his master has done in his absence. Anakin tried his best to help keep him grounded, and without him...

Anakin is taller, though. He's taller than Obi-Wan now. He was close when he left but seeing him again makes it even more obvious. And he's let his hair grow out – it's is growing in messy curls halfway down to his shoulders.

"Hello, Master," he says, a shred breathlessly.

"Anakin," Obi-Wan replies, and they approach each other slowly. He looks... not happy, but at least relieved.

"We've located Maul," he says. "With the help of... some former Death Watch members." He's not happy about that, either, but if they have to work together, then...

He'll deal with it.

"You look different," Obi-Wan says, studying him. Anakin thought saying Maul would set him off instantly, but he's more caught up with Anakin's presence than anything else.

"Yeah," Anakin agrees, half laughing, "It's been a while." It still hurts, but he's where he was needed. They all are.

"The hair's new," Obi-Wan adds, raising an eyebrow.

Anakin shrugs. "I like it better. Gets a lot of unwanted attention, though." People are weird. (He wonders what Kolara would think about it, though.)

Obi-Wan steps forwards first, and Anakin reacts instantly, moving to hug him. It's brief, because they don't have time to linger, but it's still there – the safety, warmth, and reassurance of home.