Chapter 6 - Umbara

Author's Note: This chapter... is dark. :)

~ Amina Gila

Umbara is dark. It's miserable there, to be honest, and Anakin wants to clean up here and get out as fast as possible. He can easily see why they were warned from the start that this wouldn't be an easy battle.

It's not.

They already all just about died, and Master Krell came in to offer air support.

"Thank you for the air support, Master Krell," Obi-Wan says, standing stiffly as the Jedi Master approaches.

Anakin wishes he could be air support himself. That's where he's best.

"Indeed, General Kenobi. The locals have proven to be more resourceful than we anticipated," the Jedi Master replies. He's enormous, towering over Obi-Wan and Anakin both.

"I sense there is more to your visit," Obi-Wan responds flatly.

"The Council has ordered you back to Coruscant, effective immediately."

Anakin's heart skips a beat. That can't be right. He looks wide-eyed up at his master.

"Is there some reasoning or urgency behind this request?"

"I'm afraid a request was made by the Supreme Chancellor, and the Council obliged. That is all they would tell me," Krell responds, and to Anakin, that seems a million kinds of wrong.

"I cannot leave my padawan and our men here alone," Obi-Wan objects, crossing his arms. It's dark, but not too dark for Anakin to see his scowl. He's not happy. Nor is Anakin. That doesn't make any sense.

"I'll be taking over in the interim."

"And I'll stay," Anakin adds, "Unless you need me, Master?" He's needed here. The thought of walking out of the battle makes the Force tense and coil. This is going to be a very, very dark battle on multiple levels. He knows that much.

"Yes," Obi-Wan admits reluctantly, "Remain here with Rex. See what you can do, but don't pointlessly danger yourself."

"When do I ever?" he asks, a bit teasingly, and Obi-Wan gives him a tired look. "Don't worry, Master. We'll be cleaning up by the time you get back."

"That is good to hear," Obi-Wan says dryly, heading for the gunship. Anakin waves to him until the door closes.

Krell is staring at him in a way that manages very successfully to make him feel wrong and stupid for doing so, but this is his master. It's not his problem if Krell doesn't understand their dynamic. No one really does. Still makes him uncomfortable, though.

"Master Krell," Anakin says, turning to him and gesturing to Rex, "This is Captain Rex. Our first in command. You won't find a finer and more loyal trooper anywhere."

"Your reputation precedes you, General. It is an honor to be serving you," Rex says, stepping up to Krell.

"I find it very interesting, Captain, that you are able to recognize the value of honor, for a clone," Krell replies. His presence is dark, and some Jedi just feel like that, though Anakin can immediately understand why. He's seen this before, many times, but never with a Jedi. Anger coils up inside him.

"Clones are Mandalorian by heritage," Anakin snaps back. It's not quite a snap, because he'd never talk to a Jedi Master with that tone, but anyone who knows him could tell exactly how angry he is. He has seen so many people treating his vode as lesser because of their origins. "It's in their blood. Moreso than me and you, I believe."

One thing Anakin has learned very well from his master is ways to politely be rude to people.

"And Mandalorians are not a trustworthy people."