ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4

"Here." He handed me his phone. "Put something on."

"Anything?" I hover my thumb over the search bar. 

"Yeah." He shrugs. Schlatt drove with his left hand on the steering wheel and his right one on the small armrest. I tried not to look at him while he drove. 

Don't ask me why. 

I decide to put on 'Billie Bossa Nova' by Billie Eilish. I hum slightly to the tune as I look out the window. Schlatt taps his index finger to the beat and bobs his head. 

"Oh shit," I point to his 90s zigzag headband. "I didn't even realize you had this on."

"Yeah, I know." He looked at me through the corner of his eye, a sly smile on his face. "You were too busy staring at something else."

My face heats up. "You caught me." I raise my hands in mock surrender. "You're right, I was staring at your supple nutsack in those slacks of yours."

Schlatt shakes his head and laughs. I queue a few more songs and we engage in small conversation, mostly arguing about who's better at Mario Kart and the restaurant we're going to.

"How did you even get a reservation to this place?" Schlatt asks as he pulls into the parking lot. Ubers let off guests that look like they could be movie stars and models and the doorman greets them as he holds open the door. The sign ECLIPSE shines bright purple. 

I didn't respond right away and flashed him a coy smile. 

"Oh no, how many organs did you sell to take us here?" Genuine nervousness appeared on Schlatt's face. ECLIPSE is Austin, Texas' prized possession. It mixes a nightclub vibe with a hint of modernity in their food. 

Schlatt and I walk to the entrance and the doorman bear hugs me. "Olive!" Bertrand wiggles me back and forth. "Happy to see my favorite manager here. Dimitri is waiting for you inside." Bertrand smiles and nods to Schlatt. He lets us through and I hear Schlatt audibly gasp. 

The best part about ECLIPSE is the fountain in the middle of the restaurant with a stage surrounding it as a live jazz band plays music. The room is covered with purple, navy, and yellow hues to mimic a night sky. 

"Did the doorman call you a manager? Do you work here?" Schlatt asked as our hostess guided us to a private room.

"Yeah, every Monday-Thursday from 8:00 pm to 1:00 am and Friday to Saturday from 12:00 pm to 12:00 am," I respond. "The best part about being a floor manager here is that we get the best table in the restaurant." 

The hostess brings us up a flight of stairs onto our rooftop terrace. Usually, there are enough tables for 100 people. Tonight, it was just us two. 

"I can't believe I'm here." Schlatt sat down and scooted himself in. "I thought they only let A-list celebrities in here."

I wiggle my hand from side to side. "Kind of? We get a lot of athletes and some actors. Last week I saw Usher which was pretty cool." I brag. I handed Schlatt a menu and let him gaze over it. 

I don't say anything to ruin his moment. Schlatt's mouth is slightly agape as he peers over the options. "This is fucking nuts." He mumbles. 

"Isn't this better than that stupid Tweet?" I say. The soft jazz from downstairs plays through the speakers as the sun begins to set. 

"Yeah. It's fucking great." He smiles. 

Oh God, that smile. 

I clear my throat and shove my hands in between my thighs. Our waitress, Cindy, comes over and places two wine glasses and two champagne glasses in front of us. She twists open a bottle of white and begins to pour, then places it in the ice bucket.