Cauda 05 - Sea Breeze

"Excellent work everyone."

Now Playing...

Artist: Bull of Heaven

Song: She Is As the Nights Are Horrible

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5PW424hUyU

The open air on the lake refreshed all. Huggy had been in pure bliss from he moment he saw the lake and felt the breeze. His head out, looking down at the infinitely black waters below, he held on to the roof poles with both his arms. Even though rain lightly fell and soaked the monster he couldn't get over just how open the area was. He had never seen so much water in one spot. It was unbelievable! It was like Pompom's farm, with water instead of grass.

He and the rest of the team rode on a small family-size fishing boat. Only meant to situate 5-6 people, its area was that of a large van. Huggy and Kapi sat at the back, behind the driver's seat where Updike steered. Up front were Ace and Theo, both staring out forward. Everyone on board wore a backpack containing various materials needed for the operation. Kapi's had several extra bags, allergy medication (just in case he came into close contact with Pompom) and some personal belongings. He didn't know the contents of the others. All he knew was that Theo had all sorts of electronics in his. After all, that was his schtick.

Huggy sticking his head out the boat worried Kapi. Worried the monster would fall right out or worried he could catch a cold. He didn't like how dark it was either. The moon and the stars lay hidden beneath the clouds.

But, most of all he didn't like how poor the sight was. Updike had turned the lights off, preferring upmost stealth to sight.

Kapi shifted in his seat, clutching his hoodie tightly. Nighttime on a cold lake, a being whose presence lowered temps and rain only served to make the area uniquely chilly. At least the boat's roof was up, though it did nothing to stop the wind and splash from the water. He shivered, again looking to the rest of the team.

Updike, stoic as ever remained seated in the chair, eyes glancing between the boat's interface and lake in front, his mass of hair blowing everywhere. He barely said a word the whole trip, the lake requiring his full attention. He had a whole slew of gadgets in front of him strapped to the dashboard. A barometer, holographic map of the lake, and a GPS tracker. All blasting light onto Updike it was the most visible thing present.

He couldn't really hear his comlink, only vaguely aware of what was going on at the Compound. S let loose some monster and Mommy was thrown into hell. He didn't dare look over the boat's edge. Nevermind sea sickness, he still wasn't sure if any of those 'troll' creatures were in the water. Or really any kind of underwater monster. This city was unpredictable.

Ace hadn't said much either, or really even during the training. He kept to himself, moreso than all of the other members. The most he said anything to was Theo and Updike, Ace developing some kind of companionship with them. At least, Kapi thought so. They would always leave together.

He pulled his hood over his ears tighter, hoping to keep warm. Still unsatisfied by the warmth he dug into the seats, finding an old beach towel. It now doubled as a blanket which he wrapped upon himself.

Theo wore the same clothes as before, yellow dress shirt and purple plaid sweater, maroon pants. Only this time, he wore a very light-yellow poncho and hat upon him. Kapi couldn't understand how he wasn't freezing. Theo explained it to him earlier, that he 'had spent so many nights atop roller coasters that a little breeze from the lake is nothing.' Kapi didn't get it.

Theo had been ecstatic to start, probably the most excited person on this team. Ever since his first encounter with the 'unusual' he wanted more. It had been so invigorating for him that he had gone ahead and joined The Greater Good. Kapi wasn't sure why, but he at least added some colour to the team, trying to keep spirits up between Ace's depression and Updike's perpetual professionalism.