Chapter Three: Signing and Plans

---> FOLLOW SELECTED

You get up to your paws clumsily, your bright blue eyes lighting up with interest.

"C'mon, Visionkit!" you mew, looking over your shoulder. You flick your tail in the direction your sisters went; it appears they had ran off to behind the medicine den. Visionkit sighed, slowly rising to his paws like an elder.

"Alright...fiiiine. I want to just lay down and toss a moss ball back and forth...." he grumbled, his midnight black ears flattening. His tired eyes couldn't hide the glint of interest and curiosity sparkling within.

You and Visionkit scamper over to the medicine den. You take care to avoid Thrushwillow, the strict yet gentle medicine cat. You catch Visionkit nodding to Juniperpaw, the medicine cat apprentice. She's a good friend of the four kits and enjoys playing with them. She sometimes joins in on your adventures; you know she won't rat you out if you are getting into mishchief.

You and your brother peek around the corner of the medicine den, placing your paws lightly on the ground. You take care to be as quiet as possible, silent as a mouse. Visionkit, however, saunters behind the den like he wants to announce his presence to everyone.

"Shush!" you whisper loudly (whisper?? loudly???) to your brother as he continues to not care.

He stops, then stares at you, his amber eyes narrowed. "...you realize we are going to talk to them, right? Why so sneaky?" He batted your head mischievously, then turned around to talk to Dreamkit and Hopekit. You catch a few whispers and a glimpse of moving black paws before Visionkit shoves you towards them.

"Eep!" you hiss, your fur spiking temporarily. You quickly lick it flat once you see an amused Dreamkit and a somewhat startled Hopekit. You meet Dreamkit's blue gaze, feeling the heat rise to your muzzle. That was so embarassing!

Dreamkit quietly purred, then stood on her hind legs to move her forepaws freely.

'I could feel you and Visionkit tumbling over one another, you know,' she signed, whispering what she was saying out loud.

Your blue eyes widen. You lean back on your haunches to respond, too. 'Oops! I keep forgetting that your other senses are heightened.' She grins at this. 'Also, try to speak a bit louder. Try to...uh...' Your paws start to slow down. How do you explain speaking louder to a deaf cat?

Hopekit cleared her throat, her black tail swishing. Those paws you saw earlier were hers. She faced Dreamkit. 'Dreamkit, do you feel that rumble in your throat when you speak?' Dreamkit nodded. 'Well, try to increase the rumble. Add more air until the rumble is stronger.'

Dreamkit's face lighted up with this new information. She took a deep breath, then slowly lifted her paws. Your eyes widen as she lets out a croak. She flinched at the feeling, then readied her paws. She signed as she spoke.

"M-e, ids, Dram, keet," she rasped, her blue gaze flitting around you and your siblings nervously. Hopekit immediately starts to correct Dreamkit, but you and Visionkit cheer and rapidly sign approvals and congratulations.

(Note: You may notice that when they sign ('like this'), they follow English grammar. However, in ASL, things are shortened so it is easier to sign (or so I think). Similarly, they aren't actually signing in proper English grammar. Instead, they are using proper ASL grammar. This means that their sentences are actually shortened, like 'me like water' and 'me need food'. However, due to writing purposes, I filled in the bits to make it suit English grammar. Thus, Dreamkit is speaking in a 'caveman-like' manner while the signing ('like this') is in proper English grammar. Sorry for the long note!)

After the brief commotion, Hopekit shook her head. 'Eh...that was good, Dreamkit. Pretty nice, but we'll work on it later. Let's tell the boys why we are here.'

Dreamkit nodded. 'You can speak now.' She quickly sat down and started to groom her lustrous white pelt. Hopekit's gentle green eyes fell for a second, then quickly looked up at you and Visionkit. Her classic sneaky glint returned in her eyes.

"Here's the mission, boys: Operation Catmint! The goal is to retrieve a piece of catmint to behind the nursery, and we are going to finally try it out. This is the only time we can have it without needing to be sick; Juniperpaw told me that it tastes really good! She had some when she was sick last leafbare. I don't want to wait till leafbare to try it out-plus, it's newleaf. No-one will get sick now! It's the perfect time to help them get rid of a useless herb!"

Visionkit's jaw dropped, his eyes wide. While your eyes were wide too, you were quite impressed.

"Wowie, Hopekit," you meowed, nodding. "that's a solid plan right there. I'm so excited!"

Visionkit had recovered now. "Errr, guys...maybe this isn't a good idea." A flicker of doubt crossed Hopekit's face as well.

You shove Visionkit and whisper in his ear. "Really dude!? You were saying Hopekit is the serious, apprentice-focused one a moment ago!"

He grunted and shoved you back. "Er-nevermind, sister. I'm up for it."

Hopekit grinned mischievously. "What about you, Wishkit? You ready?"

Dreamkit had looked up now, her head tilting. While Visionkit was explaining that Hopekit had told them the plan, your thoughts swirled around. On one paw, catmint was an herb that was supposed to taste really good and make you feel like you could fly. On the other paw, there was always the chance you and your littermates could get caught, whether it be when you snuck it out or when you guys stumble to your mother, the effects of the catmint maybe taking a hold on you.

What should you do?

Options:

- Let's do this! I can't wait to finally get a taste of the delicious herb!

- Hmm...there must be a reason they don't let cats have it often, especially young cats. Perhaps I'll skip this adventure.

- Ugh, fine! But if someone catches us, I'm going to spill everything!

- ...I'm telling Ma, we aren't doing this.

Vote here! ---> https://forms.gle/hRestUwiavmbHvho6