Chapter 2: 46 AD, Syria, Campania, Caesarea, and Gaul

The summer sun rose in the sky over the Orontes River Valley as a somber procession formed in the atrium of the Antony family's country home. An urn containing Ex-Consul and General Marcus Antonius Armenius' ashes sat on a draped table near the statues of Mark Antony and his son, former Governor Marcus Antonius Creticus. Augurs poured libations at a portable altar set up beside the table, and determined that the final commitment could proceed.

The late General's brother, current Governor Lucius Antonius Armenius, Proconsul of Syria, picked up the urn and faced his family. General Marcus had had three daughters, but Victoria and Fortuna were with their husbands in Judea and Galatia, respectively. Diana was the only one at home. The family was on vacation when Marcus passed in his sleep and they had decided on a private funeral in the country. Diana nodded at Lucius. She was ready.

The family filed outside to the mausoleum, a brick outbuilding at the end of the back garden. Romans believed death and the dead to be impure and separated cemeteries, catacombs, tombs, and mausoleums from anything having to do with the living. The mausoleum was surrounded by tall cyprus trees and hedge rows to block it out of sight and provide a secluded space. Like most of the estate, it had been built by Antony, but he was buried elsewhere in Egypt. Plenty of other loved ones reposed here, though. Old Governor Marcus and his wife Princess Glaecerys of Chalcis, General Marcus' first wife, Princess Tryphaena of Pontus and Armenia, and Old Marcus' middle son, General Gaius Antonius Armenius. Lucius entered the Mausoleum and set the urn in a niche between Glaecerys and Tryphaena. In time, a plaque would commemorate Marcus' name, dates, and many achievements. Diana wound her arm through that of her husband, Legate Hamilcar Barca, as their four older children gathered around them. Fourteen year old Urracca, considered an adult since the age of twelve, eleven-year-old Tryphaena, Seven-year-old Malchis, and five-year-old Hamilcar. Malchis turned to his father.

"It won't be the same without Saba," he said.

"You're right," Barca said.

"Truer words were never spoken," Bolt said behind them.

The Commander of Rome's forces on the Eastern Frontier, Marcus Antonius Armenius, the Younger, was called Bolt by his family. He and his wife, Princess Eleni of Emessa, were getting closer to an empty nest. Their son Marcellus and his wife Melita were still in Caesarea. Marcellus was a Tribune of the Italian Band there along with Fadia's husband Cassillus Longinus. Gaia and Glaecerys were married to civilians and also in Caesarea. Young Gaius, at twenty, recently joined III Gallica as a Tribune and was now stationed in Raphinae. He had been able to come home for the funeral, along with his cousin Lucillus, Lucius' son who was a provisional cadet with that Legion. They joined Gaius' brother, sixteen-year-old Lucillus, a civillian courier, and his sisters fourteen-year-old Iotapa, and eleven-year-old Annia.

The family trooped back to the house, their minds and hearts with so many who were far away. Lucius' daughter Epona was still in Antioch along with her husband, now General Lucas Vorenus, as was Antonilla and her husband, Tribune Aius Tirienus. Little Layla was married to a young Rabbi in Antioch. Only seventeen-year-old Marcellus, a provisional cadet with VI Ferrata, was at home. Fortuna's son Marius Gallinus, now Prefectus Equitum or cavalry commander of XII Fulminata, represented an unbroken line of officers leading back to Antony himself.

They settled down at trestle tables spread in the back garden as servants laid out the feast. General Marcus' funeral instructions were as specific as his battle plans. Mourning and long faces were for the public aspects of his funeral, which would take place in Antioch soon enough. In private, he wanted his family to do what they always did. Cookouts were a highlight of their summer months at their farm on the banks of the Orontes River. A bonfire was lit and ausages and chops sizzled on grills. Lucius found a plate and started down the food line.