TWO

Past

Roop

"Hello Ma, yes, I've arrived in Patiala. I'll be home in half an hour."

Convincing Mom always takes time. Despite my initial reluctance, I decided to return home for the mid-semester break. Not a day went by during this break without Mom reminding me to come back.

After much consideration, I made the decision to return. However, I wasn't particularly eager to come back to Patiala, knowing that Chandani is likely not around this time of year. During May and June, she prefers to spend time at her aunt's place in Chandigarh. But Mom's persistent requests ultimately convinced me to come back. A mother's love is like that.

I stepped off the bus, greeted by a gust of dust and hot winds. I was back amidst the bustling streets and familiar life of Patiala. The only thing missing was Chandani. With a chuckle, I threw my bag over my shoulder and began to walk away.

I treated myself to sugarcane juice for refreshment before heading home. Taking a rickshaw, I arrived home in just fifteen minutes.

True to habit, I didn't head straight home but took a leisurely stroll around the road near the Bajwa household. Perhaps Chandani would be around... As I glanced around, lost in thought, I heard Mom's voice, "Aagaya Mera puttar (My son arrived)."

I smiled as she enveloped me in a hug, her joy palpable on her face. My return after a month and a half had filled her with indescribable happiness.

Though Dad was absent, Beeji was present. I engaged in conversation with her, updating her on my health and life in Ludhiana-college, classes, and studies. She made sure my friends came from good families and that I wasn't succumbing to any vices like smoking or drinking.

After enjoying Mom's delicious paranthes, I headed to the bathroom for a refreshing cold shower to combat the Patiala heat. Wrapping a towel around my waist, I emerged bare-chested, only to hear Mom's voice from the kitchen, reminding me to fetch clothes from upstairs to escape the scorching heat.

"Ma... I literally just finished showering!" I protested.

"Just this little favor, son, and I'll buy you your favorite snacks from the market in the evening."

Mom's demeanor hadn't changed; she still saw me as her twelve-year-old, willing to do chores in exchange for treats. Without objection, I headed upstairs. Sorting through the numerous clothes hanging up, I systematically gathered each one and neatly placed them on the chair across the room.

"Oye Roop, tu kab aaya?" Her melodious voice greeted me, echoing in my ears like a soothing melody.

Chandani.

To my surprise, she was still there, gracefully poised in her domain. As I turned to face her, my eyes were drawn to the terrace boundary that intertwined our worlds, connecting our lives in subtle ways.

She stood with an effortless elegance, her back turned towards me yet radiating an aura of ethereal beauty. Although she didn't glance my way, I could sense her awareness of my presence. Lost in the moment, I momentarily forgot my own attire, clad only in a towel. Yet, in her presence, such trivialities seemed inconsequential. After all, my dedication to fitness, evidenced by my gym routine, left little to conceal.

She busied herself spreading chillies on the cot upstairs, surrounded by other cots adorned with turmeric sticks, cloves, and more. It was a typical sight, reflective of the Bajwa household's affinity for spices and culinary treasures, I mused silently.

All I could see was her back, yet I imagined her beauty from the front, enchanted by her grace from any angle. Clad in a purple satin Patiala suit, adorned with a yellow dupatta, her hair intricately braided, cascading down to her hips, she was a vision to behold.