FOUR

Roop's POV

Today marked the momentous occasion when Chandani Bajwa would transform into Chandani Arora. As the day dawned, the entire community converged at the Gurudwara in the bustling chowk, the designated venue for the festivities. In our Punjabi tradition, weddings are typically solemnized during daylight hours.

The Gurudwara, bedecked for the occasion, presented a breathtaking sight. Joy and spirituality permeated the air, infusing the atmosphere with a sense of profound significance. Amidst the jubilation, I found myself an outlier, grappling with emotions not shared by the rest. The entrance and main hall were adorned with vivid floral arrangements, meticulously arranged by the Bajwa family, symbolizing the abundance of love and the coming together of two families in unity.

Inside, the Guru Granth Sahib, our sacred scripture, commanded the center stage, embellished with intricate decorations and encircled by flickering candles or oil lamps.

The hall was swathed in vibrant fabrics, with the Khanda and Ek Onkar, traditional Sikh symbols, taking prominent positions. Guests were seated on the floor, embodying humility and egalitarianism, fostering a spirit of unity and camaraderie. However, I harbored no desire to linger here, witnessing my beloved become someone else's.

While Mom and others busied themselves capturing moments in photographs, Kamal and Manjot gracefully served and welcomed arriving guests. Suddenly, the tranquility was pierced by the sounds emanating from the gateways, signaling the arrival of Rohan's baraat. The anticipation for the Milni ceremony grew palpable.

The Baraat procession was warmly received at the gate, where the Bajwa family eagerly awaited, garlands in hand. Laughter and jovial exchanges filled the air as families embraced, exuding happiness and camaraderie. Yet, amidst the joyful chaos, my gaze remained fixed on the back gate of the Gurudwara, anticipating her arrival from that direction.

Never in my life had I imagined that she would marry someone else, and here I was, relegated to merely observing. With patience wearing thin, I remained stationed, knowing that catching a glimpse of her would mark the finality of this ordeal before I retreated to the solitude of my home.

At long last, amid the flurry of activity as the groom's family was ushered inside, Chandani made her entrance.

"Wo Aaj kisi chaand se Kam nahi lag rahi thi... Waise to din me sooraj dikhta hai, but agar aap khush naseeb ho to aapko chaand or Suraj dono saath bhi dikh sakte hai, or Mai is waqt duniya ka wo sabse khush kismat insaan tha..."

(Her attire)

She was adorned in a resplendent red salwar kameez, intricately embellished with golden freckles and embroidery, accompanied by a matching red dupatta gracefully draped over her head

She was adorned in a resplendent red salwar kameez, intricately embellished with golden freckles and embroidery, accompanied by a matching red dupatta gracefully draped over her head. With each step, her gaze remained demure, her delicate feet seeming to bless the marble floor they touched.

From her hair down to her toes and even her fingertips, she shimmered with opulent jewelry, each piece adding to her exquisite allure. Her hands were adorned with bangles and kaleere, completing the ensemble that transformed her into a living masterpiece. Oh, the sheer beauty she exuded was captivating beyond words.