Chapter 1

1 day earlier 

Emily and I have been best friends since we were 5. We did everything together, from ice cream trips to family vacations. And when I came out to her as gay, I was so scared that she would hate me, but she welcomed me with open arms. When we were in 7th grade, I got outed by someone. I was getting bullied by my peers. She stood up for me. When I got my first girlfriend, she was there to congratulate me and we broke up, she was there to help me pick up the pieces. So to say that we know each other really well is an understatement.

We are both in our senior year of high school. Emily has a boyfriend. His name is Jack. I have a girlfriend and her name is Mary. Today, I woke up and got ready for school like I normally do, but something felt off. I could feel it in the pit of my stomach.

BUZZ!

I picked up my phone to see it was Emily.

"Hey I'm outside. Are you ready yet?" she said on the other side of the phone.

"Shit, really? Already? Yeah, give me 5 minutes, and I'll be out there. Sorry."

"No worries, I got here early anyway." She hung up before I could say anything back. Five minutes later, I was in her car and we were headed to school, yet I still had that twisted feeling. We got to school and I saw that Mary was waiting for me. I got out of the car and went up to her. "Hey babe." I kissed her.

"Hey good morning." she said

"Yeah it's too early for that.'' We all went inside and for some reason I still had that weird feeling but I just played it off as being hungry because I skipped breakfast.

So today ended like normal, but Emily wasn't acting normal. She looked paranoid and frightened.

"Hey Em? Are you OK?" I asked her

"What? Oh, yeah I'm fine, just tired."

"Okay, but tell me if something's wrong" she nodded and we left.