08

"Junaid!" I yelled, "Stop experimenting and go put the icing on the cupcakes." I took the pack of flour out of his hands before he could pour it into a bowl.

Today started off bustling as I unlocked the bakery doors at 6 a.m., and the rush of customers didn't let up for a single minute.

It's exactly what I've always hoped for and prayed for each day. I'm happy, this is my dream come true. I don't want to stop, I want every person who walks through the door to experience the joy of our sugary delights.

The scent of freshly prepared pastries filled the air, blending with the animated talk of customers as they moved about in front of tables.

Once I am able to attend to their every request and see them smiling, I feel satisfied.

Those little kids who beg their mothers for those cute cupcakes that Junaid definitely puts some silly designs on, or those teenagers who can’t hide their excitement when presented with ordinary cookies having random markings, that’s what used to be nothing but a dream.

I walked out of the kitchen, my attention caught by a customer patiently waiting at the counter. With a warm smile, I approach, "Good morning! How can I help you today?" I ask.

The customer's eyes light up as they scan the array of pastries and cupcakes on display. "I'll have a dozen assorted cupcakes, please," she says with a grin.

"Of course!" I reply cheerfully, reaching for a box to fill with an assortment of our flavours and designs, ensuring each cupcake is a delightful surprise.

As I carefully place each cupcake into the box, the customer's anticipation grows.

"Here you go!" I say, handing over the box filled with an assortment of cupcakes. "Enjoy your treats, and have a wonderful day!"

The customer's face lights up as they take the box, thanking me as she scans the barcode for payment before heading out the door.

With a contented sigh, I placed the tray with more cupcakes in the front when another customer walked up to the counter, "Good morning! How can I help you today?" I repeated the same question I'd been asking ever since the morning.

"A cold coffee and you would be nice." I heard the response, my head instantly snapping up towards the customer as I looked at him.

"Why are you here?" I asked, leaving the tray of cupcakes.

"To get coffee, Seerat, like normal people do to start their day." He answered.

"Nyra, get him a cold coffee please." I said to Nyra who was standing beside me before starting to walk away when he opened his mouth again, "Nyra, why don't you continue what you were doing and let me talk to your nakchidi owner?"

"Excuse me?" I turned to him, "You're wasting my time here, just so you know." I pointed my finger at him, "Can you see how many people are here already?"

"I brought you help." He replied, gesturing to the two guys standing behind him, "I think two in return for one is more than enough."

"You're not being serious." I pursed my lips, looking at Sahaj who looked as serious as it sounded. The two guys who looked like bodyguards are going to work in my bakery? Yeah sure.

"This is Buzz and this is Braids." He introduced the guys to me. Is he seriously referring to them according to their haircut or is that their name?

"Buzz and Braids?" I raised my brows in question.

Sahaj turned to them, talking in hush whispers before turning back to me, "Aayush is Braids, Sparsh is Buzz."

Buzz cleared his throat, stepping forward, "I'm Aayush. He is Sparsh." He cleared, pointing to his friend.