36.

-HER-

For a few seconds, I watched the two wrestle. Grim still had Karrson's head in a headlock while Karrson managed to get Grim's other hand and bit it hard. Grim growled and tried to thrash Karrson, but the latter somehow managed to tangle their legs and keep Grim from moving their bodies.

Both of them were locked, but none seemed ready to let each other go. I was more shocked when Karrson offered me an apologetic smile while his teeth were still sunk in Grim's hand.

In return, Grim bit Karrsom's ear, making him groan, but the latter didn't let go of Grim's hand. They continued to resist against each other, which resulted in their locked bodies spinning on the floor like the second hand of the clock. At this point, they were acting like children.

"Stop!" I shouted at the top of my lungs, but they continued to fight.

"Tghell ghim to ghet opf mghe fghirst," Karrson managed to speak while still maintaining his bite on Grim's hand.

"Let him go, Grim!" I roared at him, but if anything, he glared at me.

"Do you know who he is?" He shot back, tightening his arm around Karrson's neck even more until Karrson was starting to look breathless, but still, he didn't let go of Grim's hand. Instead, he sunk his teeth deeper, making Grim groan in pain.

I crossed my arms and glared at them.

"What a way to treat your friend," I commented.

"He's not my friend," Grim hissed. "He's the one who ruined our date!" I gasped at Grim's revelation. All this time, I was talking to someone who sent men to hurt us, and what I found more surprising was that Grim let him in the house in the first place.

Karrson let go of Grim's hand and looked at me wide-eyed.

"Wait, is that your mate?" He asked, sounding surprised.

"Yes," Grim growled, "And you'll stay the fuck away from her or else I'll snap you in two and let Alkmena do the rest,"

"Oh fuck no. That was just harmless flirting, and Veronica, I'm so sorry for ruining your date. All I wanted was to tickle Grim. I didn't know you'd be there with him. If I knew, I'd have shown up myself with some chocolates and flowers— fuck, I can't breathe!"

"Grim!" I roared even though I had my doubts about Karrson. I didn't know if I should trust him, but at the same time, I knew that Karrson would be helpful to me because he was a talker. "Let him go!"

"No," Grim growled at him, a challenge in his eyes. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"You're doing this because of me, aren't you?" I asked him, "Or you'd have taken him down the moment he walked through the door,"

Karrson barked a laugh at my words, even though his face was starting to grow red. I was sure that man didn't have any sense of self-preservation in him.

"She's smart. Veronica dear, please tell your mate to let me go. I swear I'll tell you everything if I don't break my neck tonight,"

His offer was tempting, and I took it right away. Grim flashed me a look of disbelief and determination.

"Let him go, Grim. I want to talk to him," I told him.

"You can talk to me," He snapped. I clenched my teeth.

"Grim, please," I pleaded, changing my strategy.

"He can hurt you in the blink of an eye, Veronica," Grim glowed.

"Oh, hell no. I'll shoot myself in the foot than ever lay my hands on her. I like to tickle you now and then, but I'm not that stupid to go after your mate," Karrson managed to say as his face grew worse.

"See!" I shot. Grim gave me a long, hard look before muttering his warning to Karrson.

"If you do anything to her... any-fucking-thing, then I'm getting Alkmena involved,"

"Who's Alkmena?" I had to ask because whoever it was, Karrson blanched hearing that name.

"Not Alkmena. I'm not that stupid, Grim. I'll treat her like my little sister," Karrson said, grim finally letting him go. He took a deep breath of air as soon as he was released. He coughed up a couple of times, rubbing his neck and sitting up. Grim rose immediately, stalking towards me.

"You'll stay away from him," Grim told me. No. It was a fucking command, and if anything, it made me want to go against him even more. He didn't want me to talk to Karrson? Alright then, Karrson and I would be best friends from now on. That was now my mission. I didn't care if he was an Underlord himself. An Underlord's best friend sounded quite handy but, at the same time, not as demanding, consuming, and scandalous as an Underlord's mate.

I ignored him right away and walked past him to get to Karrson. He almost cringed when I bent down to touch him but gave me an innocent smile.

"Are you alright?" I asked him warily.

"I'm as alright as I can be with your mate looking at me like he wants to gut me alive," Karrson answered with the same innocent smile.

"Ignore him. Let me see your neck. Does it hurt?" I asked, sounding extra caring just so I could get on Grim's nerves, and I could tell that I succeeded at that due to the disapproving noise he made.

"Oh no, it's alright. I'm sure if you look, it'll hurt more," He said, straightening his shirt and standing up.

"I'll ask you for the last time, Karrson, and if you don't answer me immediately, I'll snap your neck. Why the fuck are you here?" Grim demanded. His voice was dark and sounded deeper than usual. I knew he was still on the edge because of our heated exchange before Karrson arrived. His voice boomed through the whole house, sending a shiver down my spine and keeping the throbbing between my legs alive.

"Oh well," Karrson gave me another of his charming smiles before answering, "I found something on the missing souls, and I wanted you to come look at them with me,"

"The missing souls?" I asked out loud, and Grim grunted. I spun around to look at him, but he glared at Karrson.

"Why did you say that in front of her?" Grim growled.

"You said you were going to snap my neck if I didn't give you an answer right away!"

~

Read the next 20 chapters on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3