02 | Chapter

Tanis had a headache. She had had a headache since entering the Sol Van Lowlands. The perfumes were enough to make her want to throw up her breakfast. The smells reminded her of taking tea with her step-mom; a nauseating experience in itself. Why did she need to come on this visit again? The emissary sat across from her in the carriage looking bothered.

"Please remember to smile when we arrive," Sir Nathan said. "Or at least stop fiddling with your nails so often."

Sir Nathan's demeanor was that of a seasoned warrior, confident in his abilities yet mindful of the weight of his responsibilities. His voice carried the authority of someone accustomed to command, yet tempered with a hint of courtesy.

He was a man in his thirties, possessed a commanding presence that belied his relatively young age. His chiseled features were framed by short, dark hair, and his piercing gaze seemed to miss nothing as he assessed the situation at hand. Though still youthful, lines of determination and experience marked his face.

"Need I remind you that I'm the princess?" Tanis huffed.

"Apparently so. You do remember why your presence is necessary, yes?"

Tanis rolled her eyes. "The Lowlands defeated our shared enemy, Delphia, so we must show face and go over peace agreements, I know."

"Very good."

Tanis sighed, massaging her temples as she tried to push away the pounding headache. "I just wish I didn't have to endure these nauseating scents," she muttered.

The emissary nodded sympathetically. "I understand, Your Highness. But it's crucial for the peace process."

"I know, I know," Tanis replied, her irritation evident. "But couldn't they have chosen less overwhelming perfumes?"

Sir Nathan chuckled softly. "Unfortunately, that's one of the things we must endure for diplomacy."

Tanis gave a resigned nod, straightening up in her seat. "Fine, I'll try to keep it together. But I make no promises about the smiling."

The emissary smiled. "That's all we ask, Your Highness."

As the carriage rolled closer to the Sol Van palace, Tanis took a deep breath, attempting to steel herself for the upcoming meeting. Despite her discomfort, she knew she had a duty to fulfill.

The emissary leaned in, offering some advice. "Remember, they appreciate confidence. Just maintain your composure, and we'll get through this smoothly."

Tanis nodded, though her expression remained skeptical. "I'll do my best," she muttered.

As they arrived at the palace gates, the grandeur of the Sol Van architecture overwhelmed Tanis momentarily, distracting her from her headache. Sir Nathan ushered her out of the carriage, and together they made their way towards the entrance.

Tanis couldn't help but be impressed. As she entered the palace, she was momentarily awestruck by the grandeur of the building.

The tall, slender columns, intricate carvings, and ornate facades spoke of a rich cultural heritage and exquisite craftsmanship. Despite her headache, Tanis found herself appreciating the symmetry and beauty of the architecture.

However, her admiration was tinged with a sense of longing to escape the overwhelming scene and return to the familiar comforts of her own kingdom, Trozani. Nonetheless, she maintained her composure, reminding herself of the importance of the diplomatic mission ahead.

As they entered the palace, Tanis was greeted by a wave of even stronger perfumes. She clenched her jaw, determined not to show any signs of discomfort.