Chapter 16

Alana only let the debate on pizza toppings go on for half a minute before she finally interrupted what was sure to eventually evolve into a screaming match between Pronto, Trixie, and Kord. Junjie hadn't participated in the debacle, instead watching with the same awe (albeit with more confusion) that Alana imagined one would watch a train wreck. And she had seen a train wreck.

Eli was silent.

"We're all getting our own pizza," Alana finally called, her voice deadpan. "If we don't finish it then we have leftovers for later, it won't go to waste. I am not trying to condense it anymore than that."

"Oh. Yeah. That works," Trixie laughed. "Okay, I want-"

"The slinger supreme," Alana finished, already typing on Midnight's screen. "Kord wants that but no veggies and extra pepperoni, Pronto wants extra cheese, pineapple, and cave crawler claws. Eli wants the super slinger with extra cheese. And extra pineapple," Alana added jokingly, glancing over at Eli. He didn't react. She cleared her throat, staring back down at the screen. "Not really. That was a joke. Um, Junjie, do you know what you usually like on your pizza? Mario's pretty much got everything."

"I appreciate the offer, but I do not have... well, any currency on me," he admitted, patting his pockets experimentally and looking in his mecha compartments. "It seems I- the Goon- had no need for it."

"Don't worry about it, Mario doesn't even let us pay at this point," Trixie noted. "Besides, even if he did, you still need to eat, we wouldn't just let you starve because you don't have gold."

"You've done enough for me already," Junjie countered. "You saved me from the Goon and healed me-"

"All part of the job!" Pronto exclaimed, waving a hand nonchalantly. "And it would be criminal of Pronto not to introduce you to the vast culinary wonders of the 99 Caverns!"

"Not to mention you're not entirely healed yet," Alana added. "Doc and Mage are great, but there's not much they can do for exhaustion. Once we're home, we're all gonna be resting up. But in the meantime, what do you want on your pizza?"

Junjie gave a small smile, looking like he knew it would be pointless to argue.

"Alright. Whichever the option is with the most vegetables, please," he requested.

"That's foul," Kord said, mimicking a gag.

"Oh, are the vegetables here not typically good?" Junjie asked seriously.

"No, they're fine, Kord just thinks that anything not jam-packed with protein is personally out to get him," Alana laughed. "I'm sure the veggie pizza will be great, if it wasn't good then Mario wouldn't offer it."

"I see," Junjie replied, sounding like he wasn't entirely sure of what was happening but electing to simply move on. "And it seems pineapple is a typical addition here?"

"Yep. We all get it except Eli. He has no taste," Trixie said solemnly, glancing up at Eli. This time, he at least slightly reacted, scoffing slightly and rolling his eyes. There was the ghost of a smile on his face for a second, then it vanished. Trixie frowned, and Alana quickly cleared her throat, desperate to carry on the conversation.

"Anyways, so do you want some pineapple on yours, Junjie?"

~~~~~~~~

The rest of the ride to Mario's was fairly quiet. Even Pronto was falling silent, aware of the dismal mood Eli didn't seem to know he was radiating. Junjie was similarly keeping to himself. Alana was pretty sure his interactions thus far were out of politeness, not a desire to socialize. She couldn't really blame him.