Chapter 4 - The Virmalum Empire!

In the royal demon fortress of the Virmalum Empire, a feast was underway. There were sparkling chandeliers giving light to the hall with red banners showing the Virmalum sigil. There were four long tables in the banquet hall, each filled with appetising food on silver platters. Roasted chickens, grilled fish, and loaves of bread. There were no salads or fruits, however. For drinks, there was wine poured into glasses, ale into tankards, and cups of water for those too weak to hold their liquor.

Prince Hazug sat in the middle of the table reserved for himself. Hayate Yoshida was on his right and Mage Jaakobah was on his left.

On another long table, the students were seated together. They were getting stares and sneers from the other two long tables where demon generals and goblin chieftains sat. The students could hear the demons and goblins talking about them, they were hardly subtle about it.

"Humans. Why are they here?" One demon asked.

"I smell their fear." A goblin said through his chiselled teeth. "They smell tasty."

"Stop it. They are the heroes that High Mage Jaakobah summoned. They are to be treated as Prince Hazug's guests." Another demon said. He appeared to be more cordial than the previous one.

"Disgusting. Their presence taints these halls." A second goblin snarled.

"Enough, goblin." The same demon chided the goblin.

"Everyone." Prince Hazug got everyone's attention. He took a goblet of wine and stood up.

Everyone got up to their feet with a drink in their hands. The students joined the toast as well if only to avoid upsetting the demons and goblins.

"Five hundred years ago, we lost our great Emperor, Rausivor. But his glorious vision still lives on with us to this day." Prince Hazug said, "Our empire may have suffered a setback from our enemies, but we will never be defeated. We are stronger than ever. Our numbers have regrown and so have our armies. Above all, we have the powers of the legendary heroes of old."

The students grew even more conscious as everyone eyeballed them.

"The alliance will know our wrath and vengeance! Our empire's time is now!" Prince Hazug raised his goblet. "For the Virmalum Empire!"

"For the Virmalum Empire!" Every demon cheered and every goblin growled.

"The Virmalum Empire!" Prince Hazug cheered again.

"The Virmalum Empire!" Everyone praised the empire. Even Hayate cheered along, as much as it made his skin crawl.

Moments after, everyone feasted. The goblins were ripping meat into pieces and chugging down ale noisily. The demons had better table manners in comparison, using utensils with class for their dinner. It did not take long for the students to dine in.

Hayate stared at his dinner. Prince Hazug could see the apprehension in his face.

"It's not poisoned if that's what you're thinking." Prince Hazug said.

"N-No, Prince Hazug. That's not what I was thinking." Hayate quickly answered. Prince Hazug snatched a chicken drumlet from Hayate's plate and took a bite.

"See? Not poisoned." Prince Hazug smirked. Hayate responded with a nervous chuckle and began eating his dinner.

"What do you think, Hayate? Good speech?" Prince Hazug asked.

"Very good, Prince Hazug." Hayate nodded. Prince Hazug could sense the apprehension in Hayate,

"Speak your mind." Prince Hazug said and took a drink from his goblet.