𝟎𝟎𝟏. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐮𝐬

2:39 pm. if chris had waited maybe forty more minutes, he could've had his chance. he could've made her day. he could've made her smile, in the way where her face lit up and her eyes crinkled and her cheeks got really big. he thought it was adorable.

what was even more adorable was the brilliant red flush and sweat lining her forehead as she glared at him through her dark lashes, her light blue eyes flashing dangerously. he wanted to laugh at the way she kept her weight on her toes, bouncing on the balls of her feet, her eyes watching his every move. she was calculating what he was going to do.

chris didn't care. he just liked her watching him like that, like she was studying him, like she was really looking at him.

in his defense, soccer was never his strong suit. up there with skateboarding and track, he was never the best at using his feet. especially in soccer. the only reason he even played during recess was because of juliet and her obsessive competitive spirit.

2:42 pm. he had been dribbling lazily for the past three minutes, his teammates screeching at him to either pass the ball or shoot. juliet was a terrible defense. even nick, who was watching from the sidelines, knew. chris, with his lack of skill, could've easily kicked around her and made it into the net that was pretty empty due to thalia's lack of enthusiasm in the sport—another person juliet dragged to play.

2:43 pm. chris made a move. it was certainly executed poorer than the idea in his head—but the idea wasn't good in the first place. matt was screaming his head off, his teammates given up on chris' abilities long ago, and even juliet, who was still squinting at him through scrutiny, was becoming restless.

chris charged, sending all his energy into his right foot as his sneaker swung at the tattered black and white ball laying there limply on the yellowing grass. one second, the ball was up in the air, soaring higher than anyone could have expected, especially juliet.

2:44 pm. juliet was limp on the ground, the ball innocently rolling next to her.

୧⋆💌⋆⭒˚。⋆

"oh my god, you're an actual child." juliet hayes groaned exasperated at the sight of christopher sturniolo. it wasn't chris' presence that caused the annoyed reaction, but rather the fact that he was sopping wet, droplets of water dripping into his pale blue eyes. chris simply let out a laugh as she shook her head at his stupidity. his dark hair was drenched and wild, his waves turning into curls, his shirt plastered against his body, his smile infectious. she shut her computer regretfully, staring sadly at her unfinished eight page essay as she pushed it away, replacing schoolwork with chris' soaked body. "i literally told you it was going to rain. you do this every time. be normal, please. for once."

chris shrugged with a grin. his stupid grin. the one that had grown up with them, so familiar that it was engrained in her brain forever. it struck her every time. juliet was terrified of that pretty smile. similarly, it made her melt a little, just how happy chris was. how genuinely joyful he could be. "i like walking in the rain."