Chapter One- Enemies At First Sight

Warnings- long chapter, slight cursing and cliffhanger

Again this story won't start until I finish secreto de amor!

Add to library, so you get updates! You know sometimes I am unpredictable lol 🤣

THREE YEARS PRIOR, ESTRELLA MONTERREY

The wind gushes through my hair but man do I feel so free. Not a thought in my head and not a single worry.

I ride my caballo through my family's rancho... Los Alamos. They've been in our family's generation for years. They're sacred and very dear to my father. Bruno Monterrey.

Caballo- horse

Rancho- ranch

He isn't a huge fan of me being out here, let alone riding. He strongly believes I belong in the kitchen, learning how to be a good wife for my future husband.

I say fuck that.

Why be a queen when you can be the king? Show them how to truly rule a kingdom. The castle wouldn't crumble because unlike most men I don't think with wood. I'm made of stone.

Our whole ranch is planted with succulents of agave. They're planted and well taken care of to produce nothing but the best tequila known here in Los Alamos.

Tequila Monterrey.

There's nothing more than I would love to help and be part of it. I've seen my father do business since I was a small child but he ignored my interest.

Instead, he says that my brother will take over. Guillermo. And I do not want to see the day that happens I might well light a match because if there's a man who thinks nothing but with his wood. That's Guillermo Monterrey.

But I won't let that happen. I will take over despite what everyone says. I will prove to my father that a woman can handle a man's reign just as good or better.

But I will prove it. I guarantee that.

Another laugh flows from my parted lips. "ESO! ANDA CARAMELO! FASTER!" I yell, ordaining my horse as I whip, but not too hard. Caramelo is the name of my horse. He's a caramel color so his name caramelo made sense and everything sounds better in Spanish.

If it wasn't for my grandfather, Luis. I wouldn't have a horse. My father never let me have one. But the day my grandfather saw me sad when my father gifted my brother one and not me. He gave me his old horse. That was two years ago. He passed away shortly after but I always think that if he was still alive he would vouch for me. He always said that I had the guts and the will to maintain the business. He said I have the strong heart of a Monterrey.

I miss him. He was my only friend well that was until Caramelo.

Caramelo neighs proudly and rears on his hind legs, elevating me back but higher so that I get a marvelous view of the Alamo.

Guillermo doesn't even know how to ride a horse for Santos's sake.

These lands will not be ruined. I will make my grandfather proud.

I will.

No man will hold me back. Nothing and no one will stop me.

An enormous smile spreads across my face, a giggle of pure excitement squealing out as I hold my hat from falling as I'm still high in the air.

I always loved riding horses. There's something liberating just sprinting in the wild. Or in this case, the rancho.

"Mira quién viene. La niña estrella." Damián, my father's right-hand man and his long-time friend shouts with pride.