Chapter 3: The crime scene

The day has started, and the sun is shining through the window inside their room. Preeti frowns, she can't open her eyes fully. She sees Tricia still sleeping like a baby beside her. Preeti yawns and gets up from bed, she stretches her body and slowly walks to the bathroom to take a shower. After about half an hour, Preeti came out of the bathroom with a pink towel on, she walked towards her closet and took a long-sleeved white shirt and black formal trousers to wear, since it was a confidential case. She couldn't wear her uniform because the media should not know anything. After putting on everything, Preeti walks towards the mirror and combs her shoulder-length wavy hair, she then puts on a high ponytail.

"Good morning my girl," Tricia said with a husky voice.
She had just woken up. Her duty starts late, so she has time to sleep more.

"Oh morning Trisss" replies Preeti
while putting some baby powder on her face.

"You still using that powder for your face? You can't be changed," said Tricia rolling her eyes.

"I feel comfortable with it! My grandma used this since I was a little girl, look how beautiful I am. It's all because of this baby powder!" Replies, Preeti while showing off her face to Tricia.

"Girl I ain't got no time for this, I just wanted to wish you good luck, be brave and do your best ok? I wanna sleep back." Said, Tricia.

"Thanks, Triss I love you." Preeti replies smiling at Tricia.

Tricia smiled back and went back to sleep. Preeti took the case file, closed the room's door and started walking, the quarters and the police station were not far, it was within walking distance. While walking, Preeti started to read more about Lyra's case.

'On Monday 25th of January 2005, Lyra was found dead in an abandoned building near The Woodside School where she was studying. The official police report was made by the school authority. Wong, who is said to be Lyra's best friend is the one who first reported the murder to the school authority. Lyra's face was damaged badly by something sharp, a few of her teeth were found on the floor, and her head was bleeding badly, she was hit fiercely with something on her head. Her dress was torn.' Reads, Preeti slowly. She feels sorry for Lyra.

"Looks like a well-planned murder." Thought, Preeti.
She turned the page to read the autopsy report.

'The victim, Lyra, was 17 years old. The cause of her death was brain death due to heavy bleeding. She got hit on the head by something heavy probably a brick or steel. A few of her teeth have fallen out because she got punched or hit fiercely on her mouth, and her hair got cut by a scissor. Some blue-coloured ink was found on some of the wounds on her face confirming that her face was scratched multiple times by a blue-coloured ink pen. No injuries or wounds were found on her body. No fingerprints were found. She was tortured and killed. She suffered unbearable pain before dying.' Preeti sighs reading how Lyra was killed. She feels that this case is going to be bigger than she thought.

Preeti reached the police station, she went inside her room, grabbed her ID and car key and walked out. She unlocks the BMW, opens the car's door and gets inside, she starts the engine and closes the door. Preeti lets a heavy breath while holding the steering wheel. She feels very nervous, she has no idea how and where to even start, but she knows she has to start at the crime scene. Preeti drove to The Woodside School, she parked her car outside, and she saw a crowd near the abandoned building. Preeti got down with a pen, a notebook and her phone. She walked to the crowded area. She noticed a few police officers trying to hold the students from entering the crime scene, barricade tape was there but some students tried to enter the crime scene. Preeti walked towards a police officer and showed her ID, the officer nodded his head and let Preeti enter. Preeti saw a chalk outline where they found Lyra's body, blood stains were everywhere. Preeti turned to the police officer and asked,

"Did you guys manage to find anything?" Preeti asked.

"Unfortunately, we didn't, but we are also searching all the nearby areas as well just to be sure before writing an official statement." The police replied swiftly.

Preeti nodded.

"I'll need to meet the Principal please keep updating me," said Preeti.

The police officer nodded. Preeti walked out of the building, she noticed a guy run away from there, she couldn't notice his face, she frowned. She continued her walking to the school, and after about 8 minutes of walking, Preeti managed to find the Principal's Room, she knocked on the door but no response. She knocked again, a lady in her 40s opened the door with a smile on her face.

"I'm sorry young lady, The Principal is on leave today, is there anything I can help you with?" The woman asked politely.

"Oh, it's ok, can I meet him if I come tomorrow?" Preeti asked.

"Probably not, he will be back after 3 days." The lady replied.

Preeti got confused about how a principal goes on leave when such a big issue is happening in the school.

"Hmm, in that case, I would need his home address. Preeti said.

"May I ask, who are you?" The woman asked a question.

"I'm sorry, I should have introduced myself, I'm Preeti, a police officer investigating Lyra's case," Preeti replied feeling embarrassed.

"Oh, I'm so sorry officer, I should have asked earlier, I'll give you the address. The woman said."

"And also, I need to meet Wong" Preeti said.

"I'm not sure if she is here today, let me just call and check with her class teacher, please have a seat inside first while I make the call."
The woman replied and opened the door for Preeti to enter.

"Yes, sure."
Preeti said and stepped inside, she settled on a sofa chair that was in the corner while waiting for the lady, Preeti looked around, the interior was beautiful and simple, the table and chairs were made out of wood, and few frames were hanging on the wall, the wall was in beige. Preeti noticed the principal's name board on the table.

"Wiston Heir" Preeti reads slowly.

"Sorry officer, Wong is absent today, here you go, the addresses."

The woman handed a paper that is written Wong's and Wiston's addresses to Preeti. Preeti took it and kept it in her pocket,

"Thank you," Preeti smiled at the woman.

The woman nodded and smiled back at her.

"Let me know if you need any help, I'm always ready to help, poor Lyra." The woman said in a sad tone.

Preeti nodded and left. Inside the car Preeti was in deep thought,

"I have to go meet both the Principal and Wong tomorrow." Preeti thought to herself.