9. Love is stronger than anything

September 5th, 2006 (The same day)

The Opal spirit's POV - (point of view)

In the spirit world, things are stirring up. All the other Opal spirits don't see it, but something weird is going on with the shift spirits. They are talking amongst each other and are looking excited. They aren't usually this happy. They should be depressed. That's why I think something is up. 

All Opal spirits have a special power of seeing exactly what a shift spirit is doing when they are in a body, or are having free time. It appears kind of like a hologram to us. I use that power, going through some shift spirits' lives to check anything out of place. Then I find a shift spirit that does something so horrible and daring, I simply cannot believe what I am seeing. Shift spirits never dare to disobey the Opal spirits. Yet, this particular shift spirit is kissing a human. That is forbidden! Surely this shift spirit would know of that rule very well, as it has been alive for more than 600 years! So, maybe they did this on purpose. I feel a raging anger inside me, burning and boiling up, waiting to come out. I use my strong powers to levitate up a pot and smash it against a rock to let out my anger. Hundreds of spirits turn to look at me.

"He has anger management issues." Someone says aloud in the middle of the painfully quiet silence. Everyone laughs. I heave short breaths, still angry. I feel someone's transparent spirit hand rest on my shoulder. I turn to see my only friend, who has a look of sympathy for me.

"Calm down." He says.

"I am calm." I say through clenched teeth. My friend looks at me, meaning for me to at least try and calm down before speaking. I eventually feel less angry and more relaxed.

"A shift spirit kissed a human." I say quickly, trying not to let it get to me. I watch as my friend's face changes his expression and erupts into anger as well.

"What?! Tell someone!" He exclaims. I shake my head.

"No. Not yet. This shift spirit is one of the oldest shift spirits. Surely she knows of that rule?" I say. He nods in agreement, calmer now. "So, I think we should call this spirit over and have a chat with her to find out why she did this." I say. I wait for his reply.

"Not a chat, you idiot. She still did something wrong, she deserves to be punished. Treat her like a slave, tie her up with chains." He says, his hand stroking his chin, thinking deeply. "She kissed a human after all. And that is forbidden in this world." He added, the look of disgust on his face. I nodded and we departed. He summoned her with his powers as I set up the chains.

***

The shift spirit's POV

All I remember was kissing Hayden, and it was the best moment of my life. And then it all fell apart and I blacked out.

I awake in a dungeon cell. I try to move, but something holds me back. I look down and see chains tied to my wrists and ankles. These are obviously special spirit chains, as normal human ones would not hold my body. Then someone hits me hard on the leg, creating surging pain through it. The room is too dark to see what hit me. I look up and see an Opal spirit. He stares down at me, with a smile of satisfaction on his face. I immediately squint my eyes at him in hatred, as it's the only thing I can do right now.

"Oooh, I'm so scared!" He says, sarcastically. He hits me again. An excruciating pain throbs in my leg again. I yell in agony. He chuckles, watching every move I make. He's keeping me as a slave! How dare he? All I want is freedom for my fellow shift spirits.

"What do you want?" I manage to say, while coping with the throbbing pain that surges through my leg and the aches and pains all over my body. He steps closer to me, so his face is in line with mine. He looks deep into my eyes, so close I can see the silver flecks in his.

"I want you to tell me why you kissed a...human." He says, emphasising the last word with pure disgust. Is that all he wants? 

"I'll tell you why," I say, glaring at him, feeling so much hatred and anger, I'm scared I might explode. "I love him. Love is stronger than anything. Surely you've experienced love before? All I'm asking is freedom for all of us. We don't want to be controlled. Please..." I sob. Spirit tears flood down my face. I watch as each tear drops onto the dungeon floor. I look up at him and see that his face has softened. He then smiles gently.

"Maybe we were wrong to control you. I realise how harsh we have been. I am certain that we will bring freedom to the spirit world. You will no longer shift into a body and you will live the rest of your life in freedom. I will try, at least." He says. I smile back. He unties the chains and lets me go.

***