The Dog

・・・ ・・・ ・・・

・・・ ・・・ ・・・

     "...and he said 'No thanks.'  Like who the fuck?" Hana whines.  (Y/N) absentmindedly nods her head.  She had a headache, and hearing Hana bitch and moan was not her top priority.  "I know he likes me, it's totally obvious.  Maybe he was just embarrassed.  I guess I'd be a little embarrassed if he showed up out of nowhere to ask me out."
     "Mhm," (Y/N) hums as she picked the last square of watermelon off the toothpick the brothers had given her.
     "Are you even listening to me?" Hana huffs.
     "Yes.  You stalked Kuroo down to Kumamoto, asked him out, and he thought it was weird that you were down there because it was totally weird that you were down there.  I heard you loud and clear," she grumbles.
     "I did not stalk him!  And it's not weird.  I usually don't chase, it's not my style, but for Kuroo, I'll make an exception.  Everybody enjoys being chased every once in a while."  (Y/N)'s headache throbbed.
     "Can you stop saying the word 'chase?'  It's giving me paranoia," she says softly, only to get Hana's hand waving in her face.
     "Blah blah.  Get over it!  That's the word to use.  Anyway, sure, whatever.  Guess you really don't care about my life at all."  (Y/N) sighs.  There was no convincing her and frankly, she didn't need the banter on a day like this.  She had just gotten started on her medication and it was already giving her major side effects.  Well, mostly just a lot of headaches and some twitching here and there.
     "I'm not saying I don't care about your life, just please don't use that particular word.  I'd appreciate it," she says calmly.
     "I'd appreciate you not being a baby, but sure!  I already said I would stop."  (Y/N) thought to herself that Hana had never actually said she would stop, but she didn't mind it.  They start up the steps, (Y/N) watching them with wide eyes to make sure they didn't move or crumble beneath her.  She had always had a phobia of stairs suddenly giving out while she was walking up them.

     Class flew by as normal, though lunch was certainly strange.  The volleyball team was all outside except for two.  Kuroo Tetsurou was nowhere to be seen, and only a jacket remained of the two-toned setter.  (Y/N) wasn't exactly positive as to what his name was.
     Halfway through, Hana stood up to retrieve a drink like she did most Mondays.  (Y/N) usually sat by her lonesome, but this time was different.  She looks over as a tall boy settles himself beside her.
     "Hello," she says softly before pulling another ball of white rice into her mouth.
     "Where were you on Friday?" he asks.  She cocks an eyebrow.  "Our team noticed you weren't here and some of the boys got worried."  (Y/N) looks back towards where Hana would be coming from, but she wasn't back yet.
     "I was getting some medication that morning, and they didn't want me at school the first day I tried it.  I was at the house in case anything went wrong with it," she explains.  He bobs his head.
     "How is it going now?  You've had it for a few days now, yeah?"  She nods, glancing at the volleyball club.
     "Pretty well as of right now.  I haven't taken it long enough for any major effects to set in, but I think I'm noticing improvement already."  He offers a small smile, soft brown hair swishing as he did so.  The wind whistled between the buildings nearby but didn't touch them.
     "I'm Inuoka So, by the way."  He offers a polite nod and (Y/N) returns it, introducing herself as well.  She found it funny that Inuoka, who had 'Dog' in his name, went to Nekoma, the cat school.  "Can I ask... there are a few rumors about you floating around.  I understand it might be personal, but I was curious... why do you not participate in classes and cleaning?"  (Y/N) stiffens a little, her chopsticks clenching together.
     "Ah, oh, well... I just can't.  Emotionally.  It's not particularly complicated, but I don't want really want to talk about it.  But it's not a choice, trust me.  I really wish I could just be a normal student..."  Inuoka purses his lips at her sad tone and longing expression.  He had seriously judged her wrong.  "You should probably get going before Hana comes back.  I don't really need to deal with her right now."
     He quickly gives a goodbye and leaves back to his club who were now filtering back into the gym.  Hana soon returned, the two girls resuming lunch in a hurried fashion so they wouldn't be late.  Hana wouldn't have minded much, but she didn't like it when (Y/N) finished before her, which she always did, so she attempted to beat her.  It didn't work.

     They returned to classes soon as they finished.  (Y/N) was still set to go to her special classes, which irked her, but she understood.  The medication wouldn't even start kicking in yet.
     That day, they had her clean her Special Program classroom.  She did so happily, and while she did of course mess up in various places, and it wasn't nearly as clean as it could have been, she was proud.  She was proud because she had actually finished it.  She had never been able to finish it before.
     "Now, you'll keep coming here for your last two classes for a while.  Until your medication is seen to work well, you'll continue with this schedule.  Once you reach the point that your medication is working, you can stay in your homeroom for English class."  (Y/N)'s eyes went wide and she beamed.
     "Seriously?  You're not kidding, right?"  She smiled.
     "I'm serious!  And once we get your handwriting to a place we approve of, you won't even need to come here at all anymore.   You can forget all about it." (Y/N)'s whole face lit up, her eyes sparkling at the news despite her headache.
     "Thank you!  I'll work extra hard."  She gave a deep bow before beginning out of the classroom to the library to read.  Finally, she was going to be normal.