Akane!!

・・・ ・・・ ・・・

・・・ ・・・ ・・・

     "Oh, Akane, great news!" (Y/N) says happily to her long-time best friend.  The two lived in the same apartment building and walked the same way until (Y/N) had to board the city bus.
     "Hm?" the girl hums happily.  (Y/N) really had a habit of being friends with beautiful girls, a thought that crossed her mind as she watched her friend with shiny black hair.  Akane would make a great wife one day, and (Y/N) wondered if she could ever match that.
     "I wasn't able to mention it earlier, but I got a diagnosis!  On Thursday evening.  I started some medicine on Friday which was why I was gone and why I couldn't hang out all weekend.  They didn't want me to have any electronics and I was in the hospital until like eleven last night."  Akane grins, hugging onto (Y/N) for a quick second.
     "That's great, (Y/N)!  I'm so excited for you.  How is the medication going so far?"  She shrugs her shoulders a little.
     "Well, they said I probably won't really notice a difference for a few weeks, maybe a month or two.  But I am noticing small changes!  Which is super great.  And I can write now, sometimes.  Even when I'm not at home.  Oh, and I can finally read stuff without getting anxious.  I've been combing my way through a dictionary since yesterday so I can join my class with Japanese literature."  Akane offered her cheery grin.  They were both shaking with excitement.
     "Wow!  That's so cool.  I'm excited!  Do you want some book recommendations?  I think I have a few that you could try to read, it shouldn't have too much advanced kanji or anything.  Oh, and we should totally write letters to each other!  To improve your penmanship."  (Y/N) smiled happily, agreeing quickly.
     Akane was the best friend somebody could ask for.  Supportive, always.  She didn't ignore her friends' flaws, but she would always help them to improve on those fronts.  Akane had been one of the few people who didn't care about (Y/N)'s grades and strange habits.  What made her different than the few others was that she didn't try to fix (Y/N).  She helped her, but she didn't push (Y/N) as if she was her mother.  And she was always fun, she made everything fun.
     "Oh, what is your diagnosis?  If you want to tell me."  (Y/N) almost laughed.  If there was anybody in the world she didn't mind telling, it was Akane.  Still, she lowered her voice as she glanced around.
     "Schizophrenia.  Paranoid schizophrenia," she says softly.
     "Sheesh, that's harsh," Akane says.  "How are you doing?  I know it has a kind of stigma around it.  Nobody's being mean about it, right?"  She tosses an arm over (Y/N)'s shoulders in a comforting way as they walk on.
     "I haven't told anybody except for you, and Mom knows of course.  I've looked into it a little bit because I actually got worried that I would end up like all those movies, but it's actually pretty different.  I don't know why they act like we're all super aggressive... I'm terrified most of the time."  Akane bobs her head.
     "I'll definitely be looking into it so I can try to help you out a bit.  I wanna tell you to not be scared to tell people, but you won't listen to me anyway, so I'm not going to bother."
     They continue their walk, chatting casually.  (Y/N) reported on Hana, though Akane never cared to hear much about her.  She also told Akane about her new friend in Inuoka and his buddy Yaku.  Of course, Akane was adjusting just fine.  She was pretty sure there was a rumor that (Y/N) had 'gotten too much for her to handle' and that's why they weren't around each other a bunch, but she didn't care to explain anything different unless someone asked.  Rumors had never bothered either of them much.

     Lunch was nice that day.  Inuoka didn't mind sitting with (Y/N) despite Hana's consistent glare.  He made a point to occasionally ask (Y/N) her thoughts or opinions on things since he didn't think Hana did so nearly enough.  Unfortunately, (Y/N) didn't seem as comfortable answering in long sentences like she did when Hana wasn't there.  He also changed the conversation a few times with Hana would go off about Kuroo, but that was really just for himself.  It was weird.
     As they headed back to class, Hana was giving (Y/N) a confused look.  "Who was that? Your boyfriend or something?  Your soulmate?"  (Y/N) shrugs and then shakes her head.
     "Just a friend of mine, I suppose.  Why do you ask?"
     "I mean, you're still the only person at this damned school that I choose to hang out with.  Everybody else is honestly so boring."  She throws her head back in exasperation.  "Not to mention, none of them shut up.  He's like all of them."  (Y/N) wondered if she saw the irony in her statement.
     "Perhaps.  Still, I don't see anything wrong with having more friends than one.  It's quite nice, actually.  If I only have one friend, I'd be alone most of the time," (Y/N) explains simply.
     "I wouldn't let you feel alone," Hana pouts.
     "Well, Hana, you wouldn't be the one friend.  So it doesn't really matter what you would do, because it wouldn't be you, anyway," she says calmly.  "You're a good friend, but you're not the person I grew up with."
     "Anyway, what does he want with you?  Oh, ew!  Does he want to date me?  He wouldn't even let me talk about Kuroo so maybe."  (Y/N) shrugs her shoulders.
     "Well, I don't think he wanted to hear about Kuroo because Kuroo is his captain.  It's a little strange for him, I'm sure.  Secondly, I have no idea what his intentions are.  Maybe he just wants to befriend somebody?  It doesn't always have to be because they like you.  Plus, nobody would try to get to you through me.  It's impractical.  You don't care enough about my opinion for it to be worth the effort."