iv.

| | journal one, pg. 9 | |

2014

"Ma, for the billionth time

"Ma, for the billionth time. It's a friendly date!" Madaya says in annoyance.

Her mother was right on her heels as she moves down the stairs, checking her purse once more to make sure she has everything.

"Yeah, right. 'Friendly date' on Valentine's Day? Girl, I was not born yesterday." Leticia crosses her arms.

Madaya sighs and pivots to turn back to her mom. She's honestly just glad her dad and Makari weren't in the house, they'll also be on her ass about this stupid date just as much as her mom.

"If you like the boy just tell me. Ya know I ain't like your father and gonna give you whole lecture and shit."

"Ma, Kaden asked me out in front of Neva, dem. Of course I couldn't just say no!"

"So it's a pity date." The woman raises a brow. Madaya rubs her lips together cause it was somewhat the truth.

"Sort of?" She sighs. "Kaden's cool and cute. But Ion see him like that..."

"Not like that celebrity boy? Cameron, hmm."

Madaya blinks at her mom, not even wanting to get into the same conversation over and over. Luckily, the sound of knocking breaks the daughter and mother staring and Madaya quickly rushes to the foyer.

"That must be Kaden."

"Ooo, lemme talk to him-"

"Maaaaa." Madaya groans before opening the door.

The door reveals the person on the other side, Kaden straightens his posture as he sees Madaya's mother who was eyeing him down.

"Hello, Mrs. Jones. I'm Kaden." The boy reaches his hand out for a formal handshake. He turns to Madaya who mumbles a hi with a small smile.

Leticia finishes inspecting his appearance, deeming him safe to take her daughter out.

"Aren't you just cute?" Leticia says.

Kaden's face flushes with red as the two shake hands. Madaya shakes her head with embarrassment and sighs.

"What are you guys planning to do on this date?"

"Oh, um...to the movies ma'am then probably stop by for something to eat." Kaden answers, scratching the back of his head, shuffling on his feet.

Madaya steps out the door, taking it upon herself to speed up the interrogative questions to save the boy, who's face is beat red, from anymore nervousness.

"Okay, ma. We're gonna leave before we miss our movie." Madaya smiles through her teeth, giving her mom a look.

Leticia raises a brow as she got the subtle hint her daughter was implying. She turns to the brunette haired boy and sees his nervous state and smiles.