Chapter 1

Maryam's face lit up as she finally noticed me. The small girl immediately stood up from her seat before jumping into my arms, making sure to squeeze me extra hard even as the sound of her chair cluttering to the ground made me flinch.

-"Ellie! Where were you?" She says, her hands leaving my f̶a̶t̶ waist. She pointed to the people still sitting at the table she left before looking up at me "We were wondering why you didn't come to school yesterday. I was a bit worried"

I took a few steps back, feeling the weight of their stares on me. My body tensed as I finally turned around to face the table, the small group waiting for something.

They probably expect me to run away after what happened with Julien.

-"Oh you did?" I said, forcing my smile to reach my eyes. "Well I just had a doctor's appointment. Nothing too out of the ordinary."

Maryam nodded next to me, fixing the top of her white hijab with one hand.

"Oh you should have texted me then. We could've gone and gotten ice cream after school." Her green eyes shone under the neon lights of the cafeteria. "Maybe we could go today? If we run fast enough we can get to the ice cream shop before the rest of the students. I don't want to be stuck behind the line for half an hour again" She shook her head at the memory, offering me another smile.

The group stayed silent as they observed me while Maryam innocently recounted our many adventures to the local ice cream shop. If I knew her any less, I might have believed that she was torturing me on purpose, keeping me close to the people that had humiliated me just two days ago.

But she didn't know. I mean, how could she?

She wasn't there when I received the secret note in my locker a week ago.

She wasn't with me when Julien started complimenting me in class.

She wasn't there when I confessed my feelings to him, letter still in hand two days ago.

And she wasn't with her friends when they came out of the nearest classroom, laughing and recording me as they announced the letter had just been some sort of sick prank.

I should have expected it frankly. What would Julien want to do with a girl like me?

A girl who ate all of the candy in her secret stash the moment she went back home.

A girl who ate,

and ate,

and ate.

Until her stomach couldn't take it.

And even then she wanted more.

I knew it was bad, but the moment I finished the candies, I had ran to the nearest convenience store to buy more. The cashiers must have been disgusted by me. I was red from running, my hair was a mess, f̶a̶t̶ w̶a̶s̶ s̶p̶i̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ o̶u̶t̶ o̶f̶ m̶y̶ j̶e̶a̶n̶s̶,and I was buying so much bad food.

I could hear them in my head as I got home. What they thought of me.

"What a pig."

"Does she really need to buy this?"

"Doesn't she have enough fuel already? Does she really need more calories?"

"Ew, look at her face.Soon that nose will become a snout."

"I bet no one wants her."

And the worst part is,

they were right.

No one will ever love me if I continue to act like this.

Not Julien, not Maryam, no one.

But for today at least I'll forget about all these worries. One chocolate wrapper at a time.

Current weight : 73kg.