Episode 10: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

The next day . . .

Atop the facility's rooftop, the fairy gazed into the streets below. Bliss bubbling from corner to corner, the gears of society spinning in even unison.

So peaceful.

So lighthearted.

So . . . simple.

She sighed.

"Enjoying the view?"

The doll waltzed into the scene.

"As much as one could," Pomu answered. "You get anything?"

Maria shook her head. "Sorry, Senpai, but she didn't say a word. The girl may be an imposter, but she's as tough as the real deal. Didn't even squeal when I ripped those scales off."

The fairy scowled. "I didn't know a rodent could be so irritating."

"What do you want to do? Keep her here?"

"No. We take her back to the capital. Maybe there, she'll confess. If not, then we'll use her to bend the Resistance our way. No doubt they'll try to get her back. Although, with how sparse they've gotten, there may not be much they can do."

"Still an idea worth exploring," Maria said. "Are you coming along?"

"Not right now," Pomu said. "I still need to investigate the dread situation here. Damn things are multiplying and I need to figure out why." She pinched the ridge of her nose. "Why does everything have to start getting so complicated?"

The doll patted the fairy on the back, sympathetic.

"Don't worry, Senpai," she said. "This is just a bump we gotta get over. I'm sure things will smooth out after a while." A smile. "How about I treat you to some fairy bread when you come back?"

Pomu returned the expression. "I wouldn't mind that."

* * *

"You can't be serious."

After sleeping at one of Obsydia City's many inns (not nearly as cozy as Miss Lovelock's, sadly), Pluto and I headed to where we could rent a carriage right after breakfast. We assumed the service would be on a "first come, first serve" basis; however, even with our diligence, the vendor had a less than fantastic message for us.

"My apologies," he said, "but all of our wagons are currently in use."

"You don't even have one?" Pluto asked, skeptical. "Doesn't have to be all fancy. Something tiny will do."

"I'm afraid not. Travel season is at its peak right now, so all of our carriages are in full demand. I could write your names down? Have you slotted for the next one to return?"

"How long would that be?"

The vendor looked over his paperwork. "Our closest one should be returning from Diamond City in two days."

"Two days?" I echoed.

"I'm sorry," the vendor said, genuine. "That's the best I can do."

"I don't mind," Pluto said. "I'm in no rush. I'm not sure about you, though, Violet."

"I'd rather we get to Phoenixton as soon as possible," I said. "But some things can't be helped. If we have to wait, then we'll wait."

I think I can spare an extra day or two. I'm hopeful the world won't end in that time.