The Interruption

BIANCA

Hayden didn't get a chance to respond before the dorm room's door was unlocked and we could hear two people walking in.

We quickly separated and I hopped down from the kitchen island.

We were both looking towards the doorway and watched Jacob and Maggie talking and laughing.

Maggie and I make eye contact and she suddenly stops and smiles.

Jacob looks curious and stops as well. "What is it?" He looks in my direction. "Oh. Bianca? What are you doing here?"

"Well someone decided to steal my book, so I came here to retrieve one of my prized possessions back. Only to be distracted by H."

Hayden looks at me. "So that's why you were here?" He chuckles.

I look up at him. "Well, yeah. I figured no one would be here because someone," I glare at my brother and look back at Hayden, "didn't tell me about his new roommate."

"Well, I wanted it to be a surprise!" Jacob sounded offended.

I glare at him again. "You succeeded."

"Wait, you two know each other?" Maggie cuts in and looks at me and Hayden. "Aww, that's adorable." She looks at her annoying boyfriend. "Baby, you didn't tell me that they were together."

Jacob looks bewildered by what she said and stares at her in disbelief.

"What?" Maggie says with confusion.

"They are definitely not together." Jacob says.

"We're not together." Hayden and I say in unison.

Maggie looks at the three of us. "Oh! I'm so sorry for assuming! I just thought... You two look cute together." She blushes a bit as she looks at me and H.

We look at each other, then back at her. "Thanks, I think." I say with a gentle smile.

Awkward silence fills the room.

"Welp, I should probably get my book and head back to my dorm." I say, breaking the silence. "Jay? Where did you put it at?"

"Oh, uh... I think it's in my bedside table. I'll go get it. He looks at his girlfriend. "Maggie, you can put your backpack in my room."

She nods as they head off to his bedroom.

I look at Hayden. "So..."

"So..."

I sigh and clear my throat. "Are you going to sleep in your room or just go back on the couch?"

He shrugs. "The couch isn't that bad actually."

I chuckle and he looks at me with a small smile. "What?"

"It's nothing. Um... You said you had a dorm here?"

"Oh, yeah. I do. It's right across from yours."

"How are you in college?"

"About that, I actually skipped my Junior year of high school and graduated with Jacob. We both happened to want to attend the same college, so there's that." I explain to him and he nods in understanding.

"Do you have a roommate?"

"Oh. No. Not right now at least. Just me with a huge dorm room. It's pretty great." I smile.

"I see. That's good. For your organization and whatnot."

"You remembered?"

He chuckles. "Of course I remembered. You would always gripe about me and Jacob not having any folders for each of our classes in school."

I gasp sarcastically. "Excuse me! I did not 'gripe' at you. I simply gave you an amazing suggestion." I made an offended hmph sound, causing him to laugh.

I smile and look up at him.

"Hm? What is it?" He places a stray strand of hair behind my ear. Then he pulls his hand away. "Ah, sorry..."

"No, it's okay. And I just miss you." I shrug.

He softly smiles at my statement. "I miss you too, Bianca."

I quickly look away and exaggerate a gasp.

"What? Are you okay?"

I glared at him. "You can't be doing that!"

"Doing what? Missing you? But, you just said that you miss me?"

"No, that's not it!"

"Then what is it?" He looks at me with a worried expression.

"My name."

"Your name?... Huh?"

"You said my name."

"But everyone says your name when acknowledging you." He raises an eyebrow.

"But that's different! It's... Never mind. You're not a girl, you wouldn't get it."

He was about to respond, but we hear a loud smack on the kitchen island, causing me to flinch.

"Your book, nerd." Jacob says to me.

"Um, excuse me? Just because I enjoy reading, doesn't mean that I'm a nerd."

"Does to." He smirks.

"Does not!" I glare at him.

***

After a while of bickering with my brother and saying goodbye to the three of them, I head back into my dorm room, hugging my book.

"He doesn't appreciate you like I do." I say to it with a sad tone and sigh.