Chapter 1 (1.10(c) Venretin? Not Venretin)

Wallace felt an urge to interrupt Trento, whose persistence was impeding the ongoing discussion. Just as he was about to interject, Trento let out a heavy sigh and unceremoniously placed the loupe on the table with a louder thud than intended.

"My friend, please handle the locator loupe with care. It's one of only three available in our sanatorium." Hoshiko's displeasure at the loud noise was evident. He picked up the loupe, inspecting it closely for any signs of damage.

Attempting to ignore the situation and Hoshiko's fruitless inspection, Wallace approached Hoshiko and gestured towards the tissues on the table. "May I?"

After one final scrutinizing glance at the loupe, Hoshiko reluctantly handed it over to Wallace.

Voss smirked, "Do you really recall all the theories you learned before?" Although his words sounded humorous, they held a kernel of truth. Once they immersed themselves in their respective fields, there was little time to focus on anything else, dedicating their efforts solely to mastering their domains.

Wallace responded with a casual shrug, settling into a seat and peering through the invaluable magnifying glass at the smudge of blood.

It didn't take him long to notice what Caren had observed earlier. Adjusting his position for better comfort, Wallace observed the brain tissues closely. The subtle movements he induced increased the tension in the cell walls, creating vibrations that made him fear the cells might rupture. He alternated his gaze from left to right, then back again.

He spotted the rod-like substances that Caren had mentioned, but the cell movements were sluggish.

The sluggish motions hinted that these cells were close to dying. The rod-shaped substances appeared to be generated by the body to prevent the cells from disintegrating. The real challenge lay in identifying the function of these substances. It seemed as if these rod-like structures were attacking the walls and aiding in their regeneration after rupturing.

Wallace concentrated on observing a single cell, one that exhibited the most resilience to tension, likely possessing the thickest wall. He'd discerned this strategy after a few initial minutes. As tension increased, the cell wall gradually thinned—an effect caused by the Death Slater organism. It seemed to induce cell disintegration by elevating the tension within the cell walls.

Understanding the cause within minutes was impossible. His focus now turned solely to the rod-like substances and a single cell.

Missing this opportunity would mean losing a chance he might not get again. The hushed discussions about the cells around him had blended into background noise.

The cell's wall now appeared stretched, as if it could rupture imminently.

At that precise moment, the rod-like substances moved with intent towards their target, almost as if they could sense the dying cells. The wall had thinned to the point where its outline was barely visible, and the rod-like structures adhered to it. The wall was almost imperceptible to the naked eye; the only indication of the cell's integrity was that its contents remained contained.

Recalling Hoshiko's earlier words about these substances generating new walls for dead and dying cells, Wallace found it perplexing. Once cells died, revival was impossible. Even the powerful medicine like Venretin wouldn't be able to bring them back to life.

A miraculous sight unfolded before him, much akin to what others had observed and described. The once-invisible cell wall became visible again. Then, an intriguing revelation emerged: within the cells, particularly the energy-generating black dots, an intense movement occurred when the rod-like substance adhered to the wall. It appeared as though they were interacting, with the substance compelling the energy generator to produce the disintegrating wall.