CHAPTER 2

I get to the park and sit down on a bench. Rogue lays down by my feet and we wait together.

I'm about to go home before I hear someone calling my name. "Aoife!" Kal's voice calls out to me. I smile.

I hear footsteps running up to me and people breathing heavily. "Sorry we're late. We stopped and got lunch. We brought you some too." A bag is placed in my lap.

"Oh wow. Thank you. You didn't have to do that."

"Don't worry about it." Kal is still panting. "Man I need to get into shape."

Camrynn laughs. "If you came with us to work out you'd be in shape- Oh my god is that Rogue?"

I laugh. "Yeah. You can pet him if you want."

"I love him. I wish I had a dog. Kal come pet him, he's so soft."

"Er, I'm not sure.." Very hesitant. He must have a fear of dogs.

"Rogue is very well trained and extremely friendly. There's nothing to worry about. Here, let me see your hand." I hold out my hand. I feel Kal place his hand in mine and I gently guide it to Rogue and place Kal's hand on his head. "He won't bite. You'll probably get a lick or two but that's it."

"This isn't so bad."

"Here, I'll show you something cool." I take his hand again and turn it over to where his palm is facing up. I tap his palm and say, "Rogue, handshake."

I hear Kal let out a nervous but excited laugh.

Camrynn sounds even more excited. "That's so cool! What else can he do?"

"Well he can do a bunch of regular tricks like spin, roll over, and speak. But his main job is to guide and alert me. So if we come to stairs he knows to nudge me to let me know they're there and he nudges me when they end. He makes sure I cross the street safely and guides me through crowds, among other things." I pet Rogue. "He also helps me skate."

"No way. you are so lying." Camrynn doesn't believe me.

I roll my skateboard from underneath the bench I'm sitting on. "I am not."

Both boys are silent and I smirk. I grab my skateboard and stand up. "Rogue, let's roll."

I set the skateboard down and get on it. I extend Rogue's harness handle as far as it'll go and he stands in front of the board.  As soon as I push off of the ground he takes off, leading me around curbs and bends. I grin as I feel the air on my face and my heart beating at the excitement of going so fast. I push off the ground occasionally to help Rogue. I can hear Kal whooping and hollering for me along with Camrynn. I let out an excited laugh. I tug on Rogue's harness to let him know I want to stop and he slows. I get off of my board and kick it up to my hands.

I hear Kal run up to me, laughing. "That was awesome!" My smile never leaves my face.

I hear Camrynn run up to me next. "My family is never gonna believe it when I tell them I saw a blind person skate today."

I laugh. Today is definitely yellow. What a rush.

"Have you eaten today?" Kal's question catches me off guard.

"Uhh... I don't think so actually." Did I eat breakfast? Hmmm. Probably not.

"Good thing we brought you food then. How about you eat and we can just chill in the shade. It's very bright out right now."

I just shrug. "I wouldn't know-" Camrynn chuckles at that. "-but I do agree with shade because it is hot." I take off my backpack and take out Rogue's collapsed water bowl and uncollapse it. "Is there a water fountain near by I can fill this up with?"