CHAPTER 8

Kal and I lay wrapped in each other's arms after. We made sure to get dressed in at least our shorts just in case we fell asleep and someone walked in.

I'm not really as sore as I thought I would be. More like tired but buzzing with excitement at the same time.

"I was right." Kal's voice pulls me from my thoughts.

"What?"

"I was right." I feel his breath against my neck.

"About?"

"You look good in clothes and in nothing. Especially in nothing."

"Kal!"

"What? It's true. You do." His voice is defensive.

"Thank you but you can't just say stuff like that."

"Why not?" He kisses me. "You deserve to know."

"Yes because I can totally see what I look like to care." My tone is lightly sarcastic.

"You should care. I'm letting you know how much I love you. That should be worth something I think." He kisses my neck. "Besides, I should be able to tell my boyfriend how amazing and perfect he is to me."

I laugh. "I am not perfect by no means."

"You are to me. You're beautiful and perfect in every way possible. You're smart, kind, determined, good looking as hell-"

I laugh again. "Kal."

"What?"

I shake my head and kiss him. "You are so ridiculous. I love you."

I hear the smile in his voice when he speaks. "I love you too my beautiful, strong, amazing, perfect-"

"Kal."

He just laughs. I smile.

He starts playing with my hair and I grow sleepy. I snuggle closer to him and fall asleep.

I wake up to soft humming. I've always admired Kal's singing voice. This moment is perfect. I'm more than content laying here in his arms and wrapped in his warmth, listening to the sweet sounds of his voice. I feel the vibrations of his voice through his chest, along with steady beat of his heart. I put my ear against his chest.

Thump-bump... thump-bump... thump-bump. What a beautiful sound. It's the sound of his life. I saved him. He can be mine forever now. Forever until we're old and grey. He'll get to live a full life and I'm going to be by his side. I'll get to hear his heart beat for so many more years. He's getting better and he'll keep getting better until there's no more sickness left.

I feel him gently run his fingers through my hair and I smile. "Did you sleep well?" he asks, his voice soft.

I nod and yawn. "What time is it?"

"Er, around two in the morning I think."

"Why are you still up?"

"Couldn't sleep is all."

I trace lines from his stomach to his chest to his face. "How come?"

"Thinking."

"About?"

He traces a finger along my jaw. "You."

I smile. "Is that so?"

He kisses me. "Yeah. I was thinking about your smile and how your hair looks in the sunlight and how beautifully green your eyes are." He runs his hand along my back and I shiver a little. "And I was thinking about how soft your skin is and how peaceful you look when you sleep and the pleasant sound of your laugh even though you sometimes snort if you're laughing hard enough." I can hear the smile in his voice. "And there's a billion other things I could name off. You're perfect Nick. every part of you."

"I'm not perfect."

"To me you are." He kisses me again.

I sigh. "I'm not winning this one am I?"

He laughs. "Never."