3. It's Been A While

Just the walk to the café was enough to make Jaren almost forget about the phone call. Jordan talked about his plans for the future and maybe even moving permanently, which was a welcome surprise to Jaren.

When they arrived at the café, it was fairly busy. They sat at a table and waited for someone to take their order. Jaren knew they would be well taken care of when he looked over Jordan's shoulder and spied Annabelle walking over.

"Oh. My. God. Jaren." She didn't even wait for him to stand up before she gave him a hug.

"Annabelle! It's been so long."

And time had done Anna favours. Her previously waist-long brown hair was shoulder length now, braided behind her head. The few pieces that escaped framed her face nicely and her makeup was subtler somehow. It brought out her brown eyes, which he didn't think he'd ever noticed before.

"How are you?"

"I'm great. Still here as a summer job," Anna smiled. "What about you?" Her accent was softer than he remembered, yet still very distinct.

"Good too. I'm back from London-"

"Hi."

They both turned to Jordan then, sitting expectantly.

Jaren shook his head. "Sorry, that was rude of me. Anna this is my friend, Jordan. Jordan, Annabelle."

He didn't miss the way Anna brushed a few stray hairs back or the shy smile that graced her face when her gaze fell on Jordan. Or the way Jordan smiled back sheepishly.

"Hi, Anna. It's nice to meet you." Jordan extended his hand to her and she took it, shaking it once. Their hands lingered slightly too long to play off and Jaren felt a smile appear on his face.

"You too," Anna replied.

"Australian?"

"Yeah."

"I like your accent."

"I like yours."

"You both sound the same," Jaren quipped, eyeballing his two friends as they stared at each other.

"Do not!" they argued back. They offered each other yet another smile.

"We're going to go bowling. You should come with, Anna," Jaren tried. "When are you done here?"

"At six. And I would love to."

"Perfect," Jordan smiled. "We can meet you there?"

Anna nodded.

Jaren grinned at them both knowingly. "Alright."

They spent that evening bowling with Annabelle before Jordan invited her back to their apartment. Jaren didn't mind though because he'd never seen Jordan like this: all giddy like a middle-schooler with his first crush.

He'd hardly said a word to Jaren the whole evening, as had Anna. He'd felt like a third wheel the entire time as they talked almost exclusively to each other. He thought it was adorable.

"Favourite movie, Anna?" Jordan asked.

"Tangled."

"No way, me too!"

They were all sat on the couches, Jordan on one and Anna and Jaren on the other. The third wheeling had only continued when they got home and because Jaren was tired, he thought he'd allow them the time to converse alone that they so clearly craved.

"Alright guys, I'm going to sleep. It was so nice to see you, Anna." He stood up and stretched. "I'll see you around. I'm sure Jordan will keep you good company."