Chapter 23

Jesse's driver was driving us back to Manila from the reunion. Nakapulupot ang mga kamay at bisig nya sa'kin habang hinahalik-halikan ang leeg ko sa likod ng sasakyan.

He asked me the question I have been dreading, "Are you sure you want to marry me?"

This time there's no crowd, walang cheesy romantic lines, he was confirming my answer at point-blank range with his arms in my chest as his hands were around me pulling me closer to him. One wrong move and he would feel a quicker pulse, sense panic and a lie.

"Oo naman," I answered immediately and looked at him. Napractice ko na 'to. And I have to marry him because I gave him my word and I love him. He cared for me when I had no one. That was major.

You have to Carmela. You. Have. To.

"Talaga? I'm so happy," he mumbled in my ear. He planted small kisses there. Kung wala lang kami sa sasakyan we would've done the deed.

"When would you like to get married?" I asked.

Natigilan at napaisip sya. "Ikaw," he nonchalantly said.

Um okay. I thought he'd be excited to plan it. Okay lang I guess, I mean no one's rushing.

"Let's make it a long one," he mumbled in my ear and planted kisses on my neck, hair and ear.

"A long engagement?" pagkaklaro ko.

"Uh-yes," he said.

Tumango lang ako.

"Are we telling your parents?" tanong ko.

"Nagmamadali ka ba?" he snapped and pulled away.

I was taken aback. What's up with you?

He was annoyed and I wasn't even annoying. I was just asking a question, a valid one.

He straightened up and looked out the window. "Manong pakibilisan," sabi nya sa driver.

I don't know if I ruined his mood as we were having sexy time and I was asking questions about the engagement or he was unsure of what he started which was the proposal... Hindi naman siguro.

Hindi nya na 'ko kinibo hanggang makarating kami sa Manila. Bumaba ako ng sasakyan nya na walang sinasabi. They sped away.

I was becoming angrier by the minute. It was his idea to get married. He proposed! Pero bakit hindi nya alam ang gagawin nya pagkatapos ng proposal nya.

I didn't know what to feel. I was uncomfortable having said yes to him pero ba't parang sya 'tong hindi sigurado sa mismong ginawa nya. Should I feel relieved? Or should I feel freaking angry? He fvcking proposed marriage that he was having issues now?!

Here I am, pinaninindigan ko tapos sya yung hindi alam ang mangyayari pagtapos?

Intindihin mo. A little voice inside me told me. Of course it was a shock to his system.

It would only be a shock to his system if he proposed for the wrong reasons. Was he just proving our love? Was he just testing my love? And now that I've said yes, napasubo sya at hindi na sya sigurado sa mangyayari?

Now I'm really angry. How dare he play with my feelings? I may have regressed at baka parang OA ako thinking these thongs pero bakit sya ganun kung makasigaw at makaparatang na ako pa ang nagmamadali?!

My phone rang. It was an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Carmela, hi. This is Gene. Um can we meet for coffee? Um I think ngayon na. I don't think makaka-intay ang bagay na 'to," he said.