#05 - Marlin

Anna did not sleep well

Anna did not sleep well. She woke early, two hours before sunrise, and got ready to leave. Her father was in the kitchen-courtyard to see her off. He had arranged with the servants for a small pack to be added to her usual kitbag.

'It might come in useful,' he said, pressing it into her hand and kissing her on the cheek. 'Don't forget your mask now, and go careful on your way to the gate. The streets aren't as safe as they used to be.'

She thanked him, and half turned to leave. 'Is this a good idea, papa?' she asked suddenly, staring through the window into the darkness.

Akton smiled. 'Your trip to the outlands? A good idea? It is neither good nor bad until we see the result of it, but I trust the heart of the girl who thought of such a thing.'

Anna gave her step-father a hug. 'Look after mama, papa. And give her my love.'

'I will daughter, I will. Now, off with you now, or you'll be late. I'll send our doorkeeper with you as far as the first guard-post of Low Town.' He kissed her gently on the brow. 'Go well, Anna, and the peace of Serenity go with you.'

Twenty minutes later, Anna was hurrying along the deserted streets of Low Town, dimly lit by the latest Glamtech glow lamps set high on the walls of the houses and shops. Hartley came up alongside her as she neared the northern gate. She startled with surprise.

'My lord,' she said quickly. 'I did not hear you.'

He nodded. 'You were not meant to, little scout, but I am pleased to see that once again you had drawn your sword even as you turned to see me.'

'You have trained me well, my lord.'

He shrugged. 'Have I? I am not sure. Time will tell.' Then he gestured towards the guards waiting by the gate:

'Shadwatch's men, and two security agents as well, I see. They will have brought your stainer friends with them.'

'My friends, my lord?' Anna tried to look puzzled.

Hartley looked hard at her for a moment, then gave a dry laugh: 'A joke, Anna-Seka, a joke. Of course they are not your friends, but they should be. You have done more for them, than anyone else in this fine city would have thought to.' He took a couple of steps forward, and stopped. 'I see them now. In the shadows, over there. See?'

Anna peered into the gloom. She could just make out, some distance away, the huddled forms of two people, but could not say for sure that it was Leviss and Nike. Hartley, she decided, must have eyes like a hawk.

Then her mentor slapped her on the shoulder:

'Come on!' he said. 'I have ordered horses for us. I hope these outlanders can ride.'

Anna was not the only one to rise early that morning. Barvarik had also slept badly. In fact he had hardly slept at all since Talessa had been judged 'stained', and taken away to Level Four of the grand imperial prison. He still could scarcely believe what had happened to his betrothed. Suddenly she was gone, and there was every chance that he would never see her again.