Chapter 6

"'Friends' is an ambiguous term. There's as much comfort in it as a family and as much love as a lover. Such a word cannot be used for us."

Chapter 6: "Dorm , letters and classes"

A plump woman in a silky pink dress looked very regal as she asked in her calm and steady voice, "Password?"

"Caput Draconis." said the Prefect and the door swung open at once, after the lady had given a pleased smile.

A small hole was revealed through which the others had to walk in through, though Neville needed a leg up to do so. The common room gave the exact vibes as the house was stereotyped for, brave, honest and cosy. She smiled as she glanced at the fireplace and knew that she and Mione would spend days reading and studying in front of it. And her joy knew no bounds when she realised she was in the same dorm room as her. She practically beamed at the other girl.

Later after when Odele had settled on the bed, she found herself tossing and turning for a long time. Unable to drift off to dreams. She sneaked to the window when she noticed that the other girls were fast asleep.

She sat on the small perch for a long time, pulling her knees up at her chest and looking out the window at the moonlight before a thought passed her and she decided to write a letter to her parents and brother back home.

With every word that her quill scritched on the paper, small tears flowed down her rosy cheeks realising she's missing home more than ever. The warmth that was there in the house when everyone sat down for meals together, the loud laughter when she'd be pranked on by her brother, the giggles she exchanged with her brother as their mother reprimanded them both, the talks she'd have with her father in his study... everything felt like a distant memory to her as she penned down her messages. 

The tears exhausted her and she fell asleep on the desk with the letters neatly folded and ready to be sent with her owl Merlin. One for her parents, another smaller one for her brother.

The morning was rather chaotic than her wishes as Hermione tried to wake everyone up. Though she'd appreciate the thought, the method was not what Odele could fathom. Nevertheless she stretched and got ready for the day.

Anticipation filled her, as she walked with Hermione to her very first class. And just like she'd seen the almost deserted Great Hall at breakfast, the class too was the same at the hours. The fact that they were the first ones to arrive, always shocked her. But then again the silence and the ambience of the class as they revised the topics beforehand was a moment she closely cherished with Mione.

Odele was proud of Mione for being the only one to make some difference in her matchstick in their Transfiguration Class, though there was budding envy and disappointment in herself. She was envious of how magic seemed to have come naturally to Mione, but at the same time she also respected her a great deal as she's seen the efforts she puts in while studying. She just hopes she can be the least, a quarter like her. And more of what the ugly feeling was that she could not cast an impression on the one lady she aspired to be like.

 Charms was where she excelled and Defence against the dark arts or DADA was so-so. Though the topics in the later were of great interest to the girl she somehow couldn't focus that thoroughly as a weird uncomfortable feeling filled her in whenever she looked at Professor Quirrell. There was something about him that rubbed her off in the wrong way. And all the garlic talk made her think of him even more suspiciously. Not only did he smell heavily of peeled garlic, but there were also speculations that he stuffs his odd looking turban with them. Whatever.

Hermione told her that they're having Double Potions with the Slytherins the next day, and her mood regressed deeper with the thoughts of having to see a certain blond again. 

ps. A bonus gift as an apology. Enjoy.

Yours sincerely,

Author.

Hi, thank you for reading. I'd love to read your thoughts on it and please drop a like as well. Much appreciated! Thank you!

It shall update every Wednesday, I look forward to reading your comments!

published -24.04.24

published with edits  - 28.04.24