𝟑 | 𝐁𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐧.

Hell

Hell. That's how I'd describe it. We were living in hell. Between dealing with our hunger, the lingering cold weather left from winter and herds of the dead all while being homeless— the groups morale couldn't get much lower.

Our breaking point was reached when Carl grabbed two cans of wet dog food from a house we were settled into for the night. We all sat around in the living room and watched as he popped open the cans placing one in front of Jamie and the other for himself.

This is how low we've fallen.

We made the decision to head west. It was the only direction we hadn't traveled so far. By looking at Lori we could tell she was due any day now. I can't think of anything worse than giving birth and traveling with a newborn during this period of time. Not the way our luck has been.

"You don't hurt 'em—" My eyes dropped to see her as she says her favorite line. "If you don't hit 'em." Her tightly made fist bumps against mine as she smiles.

The proud moment was short lived but I couldn't help but smile like an idiot as Jamie giggled.
"That's my girl. All right guys. Let's do this. Stay quiet, be quick, and stay together."

Rick and I exchanged a nod with our plan underway. He ran out first with cutters in hand. The chainlink fence standing at twelve feet tall gave us hope for a decent nights rest once inside.

"Watch the back side." Danny told everyone as he sent a ruthless stab into a walkers skull with his knife. Daryl took the next one with his arrow through the eye. His accuracy was spot on. "Hurry."

"Come on, come on." Rick collected us one by one to crawl through the hole he made in the fence. "Danny, your turn."

"This isn't the first fence we've had to crawl through like this." Danny grunted as he pushed his way inside. I kept my eyes scanning around as I covered him.

"Hopefully the last." I added when it was my turn. Rick was the last to crawl through as I sent one silenced round into the walker behind him. Once we were all inside Daryl and Glenn immediately begin stitching the hole closed with the rope we had.

"This could work." Rick said looking around.

We were standing in a maximum security prison's sally port. The secure enclosed entrance was separated from the outside world by the fence we just got through. That was the easy part. The few dozen former inmates were stumbling around the rec yard in front of us. One more wrap around fence separating us from them.

"If we shut the gate up top so more can't come out then we could clear this easily." The enthusiasm genuine in my voice.

"We could have this field by tonight." Rick exclaimed.

This is the best place we've found since the farm. "How do we do that?" Hershel asked me.

Glenn volunteered. "I'll do it. I just need someone to cover me." Maggie who stood behind him disagreed. "No way. That's a suicide run."