5: Rotten Spirits

3rd person pov:

As enji leads izuku to the main house. The hemp sack head of the scarecrow lifts up. Then, the fabric of the face contorts into an evil smile. Eyes, nose, and mouth detailed like an actual human face.

Once inside the house. Each of the three children bow to their father's return.

Natsu:"Welcome back, father. May I ask who you have brought here?"

Enji:"You may not. He's a wondering spirit and that's all you need to know. Now get back into the fields and get to work."

Natsuo stands up and so does the younger brother. Only for enji to stop shoto.

Enji:"You are to gather wood for the stove. That way our guest can have some tea."

Sho:"Yes sir."

As shoto walks by izuku. He mutters.

Sho:"Don't trust him."

As fuyumi stands to find some tea. Izuku forms a plant out of his hand to offer the leaves.

Izu:"I have my own. You are welcome to the extra."

Enji:"Sit down swamp boy. Let's talk."

Izu:"Actually, I'd like to get to work as soon as possible. Can you show me where the spirit is?"

Enji:"Show our guest Fuyumi. I've got to count our stock for the winter."

As enji leaves the house. Fuyumi leads izuku to a tall bird tower with a ladder.

Fuyu:"This way."

Izuku looks and sees enji entering a barn.

As they climb up. They hear a hawk cry out. When the trap door is opened to enter. Izuku sees a bright red hawk with golden eyes. Turn into a man. Blonde hair, golden eyes, red wings, and feet with long claws.

Haw:"another spirit? What brings you into my taratory?"

Izu:"I'm searching for someone I care deeply for. In exchange for solving the crop problem. Sir todoroki told me he would give me any information he has."

Hawks turns around and stands off the window seal.

Haw:"We've been getting attacked. I've only seen him once, but I'm sure it's something they can't fight. I've even tried and got hurt."

Hawks turns to show the burns on his back.

Izu:"Who's attacking?"

Haw:"Not who, but what. It's a rotten spirit. One who has surcome to hatred of their own kind. Offered a deal by the earth to keep populations down. In exchange for the power of a disaster."

Izu:"Do you know anyone that would do such a thing?"

Hawks shakes his head no. Then he looks outside.

Haw:"Looks like she's out again."

Fuyu:"Mom?"

Haw:"Yeah, she's maintaining the scarecrow again."

As the three look out. Rai is brushing the hair, and dending to anything that needs patching up.  While Hawks listens to her sing a lullaby to it.

Haw:"She misses him. Enough to treat that doll like him."

Izu:"Do you know what happened to him?"

Haw:"I was told that he died from a fire. Enji blames me for it because he was trying to save me from hunters. So I try to stay away.  That way no one else gets hurt."

Izu:"That's not what I was told."

Fuyu:"You should come back and get some rest. We can talk more later."

Izu:"Yeah"^Somethings off here.^

Hawks eyes widen for a moment. Then he turns back to watch rai. That's when enji walks up and slaps her.

So the three rush to her side.

Enji:"Stop treating that fucking horror doll like touya. He's never coming home!"

As he raises a hand again. Izuku reaches, but Hawks grabs it before he can.

Haw:"That's enough. Later tonight, we need to talk."

As izuku goes to put a root in the ground. The grass stops him and breaks it apart. Then hawks looks back with a glare. Causing izuku to smile nervously.

By dinner time. Everyone sits down to eat except rai and fuyumi. Who enji sent to their rooms.

After eating. Enji shows izuku to a guest room. While walking down the halls. Izuku sees padlocks on every door. That's for enji to lock everyone up for the night.

Enji:"I'll come get you once the sun is up. So rest up. We'll talk more tomorrow."

As the door locks. Izuku looks out the window. That's when he sees enji walk up to the bird tower. So izuku turns into a spider. Once between the boards of the floor. He bioaluminates only to see children toys and drawings that were hidden away. So he turns into a snake. That's when he sees a drawing of a boy and bird bird smiling under the sun.

Once out from under the home. Izuku slitherse around. That's when he spots something.

Izu:"Wait, wasn't the scarecrow here?"

Elsewhere, enji meets with hawks.

Enji:"What do you want?"

Haw:"The truth."

Enji:"I've already told you everything."
Haw:"Then why did fuyumi and that spirit tell me otherwise?"

Enji:"I suspect that it's controlling fuyumi to start trouble. If anything. It could be the one responsible for everything."

Haw:"What do you mean?"

Enji:"Our colpret has come to take another away."

Meanwhile, as izuku comes closer to the fields. Fire sprouts around him. So izuku turns to his human form.

As he looks around. He sees a figure running away. So he gives chase.

As enji and hawks talk. A blue light is seen in the window, and as they look. They see izuku running away from the fire and back to the house. Making both nod in agreement.

As izuku gets to the house. He sees the scarecrow on the ground by its post.

Izu:"So you're the one."

As izuku lifts the doll. He sees something under it that catches his eye.

Izu:"Why is this soil different? It looks burned and broken."

As izuku starts to dig. A figure comes up from behind him.

Izu:"I think I found something."

Enji:"An early grave is all you found."

As izuku looks back. A plastic bag is pulled over him. Making escape impossible. As t h e spirit is drug into the barn. Hawks waits inside for them. While the scarecrow twitches.

Dabi:"You never get what you want. I won't let you..... enji todoroki."