First Encounter

The sound of coffee dripping into a coffee mug with the honking of cars in the background can be quite soothing. Listening to the repetition of the drops of liquid hitting the puddle in the bottom of the cup while one organizes one's thoughts, is calming. In all technicality, I don't need coffee. When I came to this strange land called "America", I found a common factor that everyone shared: the act of drinking coffee. I found it rather odd until I started drinking it myself. To this day I still don't get the point of drinking it if humans put an abnormal amount of sugar and cremes to it, blocking the taste, but I've come to terms with it.

I poured the finished pot of coffee into a travel sized container, straight up black, and set out for my regular routine. I walked down the staircase and pushed through the doors to start my daily patrol around New York City. I took a right and began to watch people late for work attempting to flag down a "yellow cab", as humans like to call it. I let out a small, yet audible giggle as I find it funny to see all the pint up stress in these faces, as they try with all their might not to be late for their job. I smirked and looked at the shops to my right, looking at the store owners setting up before opening hour.

The smell of sewage water was strong this morning, but it wasn't really a bother. What was a bother was pesky little human souls not paying attention to where they were walking, resorting to me dodging each one effortlessly.

I sighed and took a sip of my coffee. My tasks for the day have only begun. People watching is usually my leisure activity for the day as I find it entertaining to watch these little mindless ants go about their daily lives. Don't get me wrong. I'm all about earth and the human souls- but they are annoying.

Throwing away free will. Please.

My mind wondered as I continued down the street, with more and more people adding to the sidewalk. I looked around and stopped in front of a shop window.

 I should probably change my appearance for the day. 

The humans looked cold as everyone was wearing winter clothing so with my right hand, I gently put my walking cane to the ground between my feet and my appearance started to change.

First started with my hair to my feet, as my long brown hair turned into a stylish pixie with a black flowy hat, circular glasses with dark eyeliner, a dark long winter coat that met the back of my calf, with a dark, maroon 1940's appearing dress that met my knees with black high heels. I was feeling dressy today.

I turned and got a better hold of my once was a walking stick, now an umbrella and kept onto the sidewalk. Taking another sip of my coffee, I smiled. It was a good day today. I started humming an old tune a girl I used to know sang all the time and continued my stroll until I stopped.

A dark, cold sensation rushed through my body. It was as if all the warmth and life had sucked outta me. I dropped my coffee and whipped around, seeing nothing out of the ordinary.

Curious, I thought. I haven't felt this type of presence since the 18th century.

I twirled myself in a circular motion and I became one with creation. My human form became nothing more as my soul and mind soared for the sky, trying to feel for this newly formed connection with something, or someone cold, yet demonic. It was strong. Stronger than I've ever felt before. I soared down street after street, whipping past the cars beeping at one another and the angry pedestrians until I felt it get closer and stronger until I stopped.

I lowered my being down to the sidewalk, twirling once more into my human state, staring at the sight before me, astounded.

About 14 feet away stood a slim, dapper demon with beige-colored skin, with a broad smile full of sharp yellow teeth with red hair, red coat, and ears of a deer, standing 7ft tall. Overall, he looked like he came straight out the 1930's. The demon hasn't felt my presence as he was fixated on the crowd around him, desperately trying to find someone that saw or heard him.

Usually when demons or angels enter the human realm, most humans cannot see nor hear demons or angels but, in some circumstances, feel them. But this demon hasn't caught onto that just yet as he seems confused as everyone around him is utterly ignoring him, which he didn't seem to be happy about, even if he was smiling.

Curious, I thought to myself again.

I continued to observe him until his eyes met mine. I felt a small ounce of relief washed over him as he found someone could see him. Still filled with confusion and a hint of anxiety, he began to walk towards me but before he could even think, I evaporated into nothing to appear right beside him. Guessing my reflex was a tad bit quicker than his, I grabbed ahold his left wrist and whisked the fox looking demon and myself into oblivion.

I think it's time for a chat.

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. This was shorter than I intended, but I wanted to ease into the plot. Longer chapters are coming soon!
~MusicMariChat

I DO NOT OWN ALL THE CHARACTERS!