Rococo: Redefining the Past

The Rococo style was a historical turning point for art as it began emphasizing leisure, opulence, and social commentaries in predominantly soft strokes of pastel hues. Though Rococo is not traditionally categorized as a form of environmental art, contemporary perspectives may argue otherwise. Many Rococo pieces heavily focus on the environment and floral motifs throughout. Commonly revered attributes of these artworks include pearls, seashells, and gardens. Some scholars argue that the Rococo period symbolizes a turning point in the relationship between nature and [human] history (Fausch 16). Though Rococo's submission to idyllic and elusive settings was previously thought to be for style alone, newer environmental perspectives may debate otherwise. Why would these landscapes be adorned with close-knit details of invigorating aspects of the natural world if they served no thematic purpose? While defining an acclaimed style of art, such as Rococo, can be convoluted and controversial, it is necessary to realize the importance of environmental art in modern-day culture and artistic past.

 Why would these landscapes be adorned with close-knit details of invigorating aspects of the natural world if they served no thematic purpose? While defining an acclaimed style of art, such as Rococo, can be convoluted and controversial, it is ne...

The Swing (1767) by Jean-Honoré Fragonard is an era-defining work that acts as the centerfold for the Rococo style. The piece showcases a woman rocking in a swing, playfully kicking her show off as suitors stand by. The commentary is frivolous, flamboyant, and enthralling as the woman, and men, are surrounded by canopies of blooming trees and whimsically-arched branches. Encased by his natural hideout, he relies on the trees to uphold her and the swing. Also, it must be noted that the woman's dress shares an almost identical hue to the florals shining under the halo of light, further linking her to the natural world. The man below her is tucked hidden inside a bush. Is the interpretation of nature here sworn to secrecy? A commitment to the Rococo movement in envisioning the environment as a shelter of tranquility? Environmental themes in artworks from previously defined eras, such as Rococo, may be subtle, though they still underline the importance of environmental consciousness and the presence of a relationship between nature and humans. For example, the subjects here are relying on the environment as solitude, as a place for leisure. They are also interacting with nature and relying on it to carry the weight of the swing, and in turn, rely on nature to withstand the complexities of human enjoyment. In works such as The Swing, nature is a sanctuary for healing and leisure. By critiquing the preconceived status of non-conforming environmental artworks, we will be able to increase the quality of human and ecological life when we practice positive interactions within our relationships with the earth.