Imaginary mind! Imaginary lines! (Arc 3 finale)

Infected?

Are you there?

You must go back..

You must.

Go.

Go and see the true world.

And Please.

Please re-think your actions.

Everyone depends on you in this moment.

...

Infected awoke.

He opened his eyes the moment the thing bit into him, his body slightly paralyzed as he felt the fear run through his veins, the blurriness and confusion within his vision and mind faded as he started to recognize that there were people in front of him. Familiar faces like pilby, dr.retro, mark and...

Unpleasant!

Infected noticed that unpleasant was by his side, clutching onto his hand in fatherly worry, He almost wanted to jump up and start sobbing into his chest telling him he's sorry, but the morning soreness spread through his body prevented it, and his throat felt dry, so all he could do was groan, which was probably enough to catch the attention of unpleasant, who turned his head to look at infected and perked up, speaking in a quiet voice so only infected could hear.

"Infected! You're finally awa-"

But before he could finish infected had accumulated enough energy to at least hug onto unpleasant, before suddenly bursting into tears and sobbing loudly, catching the attention of the trio talking in the room, with pilby being the first one to worriedly ask "infected?? Why is he crying?"

Unpleasant shrugged while hugging and comforting his son, seeing how scared he looked.

"1m S0rry.." he sniffled out

Unpleasna titled his head as if it to ask 'to what?' But mark jumped in "seems like the' fella had a nightmare, some of ma cousins' used ta act like that. Heh."

"(Aren't some of your cousins like...little kids?)"

"...yes....an'...?"

"(Mark he's 19)" retro scoffed before walking to him, trying to get him to stop clinging onto infected "(infected its ok it was just a nightmare.)"

Infected refused to move however, preferring to stay in his dads embrace, like he was his little kid from years ago all over again.

Do you think it worked?

Dr.retro sighed and gave up before unpleasant signed and pointed if he could take infected back.

"(I don't know about that Mr.unpleasant, he's probably still too unstable-)"

"1 4M!" He suddenly jolted, realizing that this scenerio is exactly what led to that horrid nightmare, perhaps a gift of prophecy of sorts "D0NT T4K3 M3 PL34S3 I D0NT W4NN4.." he suddenly let go of unpleasant and seemed scared, scared of himself

"(!! See? Now calm down infected nothing is going to happen as long as you have your medicine in hand. I finally figured out one that won't destroy your body with the virus...your dad can still visit ok?)"

It did..! We evaded fate! you can finally rest now..

Infected hesitated but nodded along, feeling unpleasant rest his hand on his head, he kneeled down and smiled, whispering again "it'll be ok kiddo I promise.." that reassuring line made infected feel mor light hearted as he finally had the courage to face his dad and smiled sheepishly, believing his word.

...

Infected couldn't sleep.

Perhaps we went too hard on him?

Even with the reassuring hoots of the owls from outside, he still couldn't, not after that long and horrid nightmare.

He could hear dr.retro muffily scold in Brazilian outside the room, probably to lampert as she heard him scream his name. He didn't know why lampert was so insistent to see him, even after everything he's done.

Better than letting that THING take over and destroy the worlds.

He sighed, feeling himself cry a little and clinging onto his tear ridden pillow, he let the thin blanket cover him and embrace him, feeling the little heat it provided in the chilly room, feeling intense guilt for actions that never happened, for the deaths of people who don't exsist, for faces he'd yet to see.

He just hoped there'd be a happy ending to all the chaotic mess that he's caused.

...

Kasper managed to get the car starting as th e baby on the back seat blabbed out for her dad.

"Alright alright Vicky here." Kasper chuckled as he pulled out the toy he brought with him and gave it to the fuzzy baby, immediately chewing on it with its toothless gums as kasper managed to make the engine roar and work again.

"God do I need a knew car.." he mumbled to himself, seeing the forest trees zoom past him like a blur, it's been so long since he's even been into the forest. And for good reasons too probably, but it didn't matter know, and it will never matter in the future, where kasper was in now.

The car screeched, signifying its arrival and stop to the desired destination, an apartment complex of decades old, kasper got out of the car and walked to the back side, opening the door to gently grab his baby, who was a little fussy sure, but glad to be freed from the confines of that forsaken seat and wriggle freely in her giggling dads arms as he entered the complex.

Walking down the hallway and knocking on the door, kasper took in the dusty smell of the familiar hallway and dull light overbearing him, welcoming him yet again, he heard a voice telling him to come in after he'd prove that it was in fact, kasper knocking, he slowly turned the knob, holding his baby against his shoulder as she giggled, opening the door.

He was greeted by a homey scene, the familiar feeling of the carpet under him as he placed his shoes away and the photos hung from the all of his graduation and the wedding, the old painted walls and chipped floorboard, it all brought him back somehow, to the times before he got infected and the times after he got (partially) cured. He managed to keep his baby balanced on his body as she moved freely. Turning around to the corner to greet a familiar figurely face he hadn't seen in a while.

"Dad?"

——

((HELLO! Kevin the author speaking here! Thank you all so so SO much for 20k reads! I genuinely thought this fanfic would be ignored but it's become one of the most read regretevator fanfics alongside others in the community! I wouldn't have wrote and done all this if it wasn't for your support and such! And don't fret! The party is not over yet! I have probably like 1-2 more arcs planned before I wrap up the story and move on to other regretevator books :3 thank you all for reading, have a good day, and in case I don't see you, then have a good afternoon, evening, and night.))